Halibut anchoring ????

One more question about the anchor set up.

Are most of you using a few zap straps to connect chain to the top of the shank? 3x heavy duty sap straps on the top and a shackle on the bottom incase the anchor is really dug in?

The only way to go.... :)

i have a 600' rope. when i set i tie a figure eight loop at the appropriate length. this loop is connected to the beaner at the scotchmen, and the rest stays in my rope box. 50' line to the scotchmen is the line under load.. it does mean two ropes running out, but no splices. the big figure eight loop has never been too tight to loosen. not perfect , but it works

This is a great idea if you are anchoring shallower than what you usually do. I have set my rode up to anchor effectively in up to 350 feet of water. But I occasionally set up in 150 feet or so. By shortening the rode this way, I can reduce my swing and stay closer to the hot spot.

The only way to go.... :)

Absolutely, allows the anchor to flip over so you can get it off a rock etc. Simple and effective way to quick release the anchor so it flips around and you are off the bottom. Otherwise you run the risk of hanging up.

I have a question..using the usual scotchmen(A3),ring,crab float
tied inline as a stopper then 40-50' to the boat.
we had 600' of rode out in 240' with a 1.6k incoming out off discovery and lost sight of the whole deal.just the beaner off the bow with setup holding vertically.was a wee bit unnerving so we untied and bowed out.

Waited through till slack for it to pop up but it stayed submerged.did manage to find and pull it the next morning tho.the foam crab float was crushed.looked like cottage cheese.must have gotten down a bit.

What ya think? Current? Missed a large salad tangle with the scotchmen? Tree branch?
Think a larger poly would help?
Anyone else have this happen?

Ok thats more than one question,
thanks buds

Said before and Ill say it again when you read 1.6 in "certain" spots its the force of that such current being pushed 1.6 is WAY to much for where you were but heck some people like the adventure of the scotsman going under...you were lucky that your boat didnt get into trouble......safety first and foremost....the reason the float was crushed because it went to the bottom and got collapsed by the pressures.

Now ill tell you about some jack butt in a hewes craft ive been experiencing out there latly whos fishing alone.... first day im out im on one of my spots (anchored closed boat is about a mile away no one near me ) guys passes me at about 50 ft max full boar , i shake my head clients go WTF is with that a-hole again say nothing shake my head....... fast forward 2 days later im the only boat for miles around again this clown comes from no where and sets up RIGHT behind my boat maybe 100 ft away now i am saying stuff to him now. So i sit there watching this asshat let his line out only to watch him throw EVERY thing out as hes so close I dont need binos. it has about a 2 ft chop this day and im watchiing this guygoing all over the place wondering what hes doing ????? well after 15 mins of him dicjking around I see what it is he has no bow to stern rope and hes trying to drive up grab rope thats laying on the water and tie to boat. im thinking WOW how bad this could turn out. ive watched him miss twice and slam into reverse.

Hes close enough to hear because he has yelled back to me .

There is certain things you do re etiquette on the water its a BIG ocean out there leave guys alone. and do not anchor right behind someone cause if my anchor breaks free by the time i get gear up etc and try and get away it could be too late.
Also just not a nice thing to do.

And the way this guy was doing it could be a recipe for disaster BYYOURSELF for 1 and trying to reconnect in current and wind hes lucky the rope didnt get caught in leg and boat would have turned stern into current so fast dont FU$K with currents and anchoring if you dont know get help.....

I have a question..using the usual scotchmen(A3),ring,crab float
tied inline as a stopper then 40-50' to the boat.
we had 600' of rode out in 240' with a 1.6k incoming out off discovery and lost sight of the whole deal.just the beaner off the bow with setup holding vertically.was a wee bit unnerving so we untied and bowed out.

Waited through till slack for it to pop up but it stayed submerged.did manage to find and pull it the next morning tho.the foam crab float was crushed.looked like cottage cheese.must have gotten down a bit.

We were right beside you when you picked up the following day. That spot has two colliding currents that make the usual current tables impossible to read You have to use the Murray Tables. Also another boat nearly pulled your anchor about 45 minutes before you picked it up.

What ya think? Current? Missed a large salad tangle with the scotchmen? Tree branch?
Think a larger poly would help?
Anyone else have this happen?
Thanks buds

when a tide gets above 1.5 knots or so, and water comes over the top of your large ball rather than the underside, it becomes a planner and takes everything above it down with quite a bit of pressure. Can be dangerous if in a tinny or something small.
Not in your case....but I am sure we will see some boats capsized with anchor systems from guys who don't know what they are doing...it can happen in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
thought id share my hali anchor set up

anchor is an 11lb claw (shackled at the elbow, zap strap and the end)
105ft of 1/4" chain
600 ft of 1/2" polysteel that passes through a 6" SS anchor ring/ 18" scotchman float
terminated with a hard 10"float and a thimbled spliced eye

105 ft of chain?!

Just picked up my system... works like a charm...
rope from bow to stern. carabeener (spelling) tied to 600 feet rope clips to this. feeds thru this real cool plastic tube with sliding bolt in it that allows ropes to go one way.... this is clipped to buoy... then about 30 feet chain.... clipped to fork end of anchor... zip strapped to long end in case it gets stuck. When I don't need all 600.. we usually just tie of where we need it to the bow. This is the only unsafe part as I suppose in a pinch I would have run upfront and cut the knot so it is free... not sure how else to do it.
In the event we ever have to cut this knot or the bow to stern line... we would always be able to go back and get the setup as long as the buoy came back up. Cutting the bow to stern line.. the carabeener will stop at the plastic tube thingy... cutting the knot at the bow if we had to when using less than 600... if you cut it right.... the knot stays and stops at the buoy... if you don't cut it right... who cares... its just an anchor, some rope... and some chain... you'll get the buoy back and its cheaper than a life.

i run the slack line from my buoy to the side cleat, tension is still on the sliding beaner line.. this is how to deal with your bow problem ronj....i keep the extra line in my anchor bin tucked away or on the roof...this helps also when retrieving your buoy as you can pull it in...hope this explain helps..so it looks like two lines going to the buoy...this way you still can release in emergency or chasing a 300 lb flat runner!!

Not sure I understand fully..... so how are you roping off at say 300 feet of line when your total line is 600??
You still have to release from the bow to the buoy somehow.....

We were right beside you when you picked up the following day. That spot has two colliding currents that make the usual current tables impossible to read You have to use the Murray Tables. Also another boat nearly pulled your anchor about 45 minutes before you picked it up.

Haha probably the big bertram? I will check murrays in future thanks.

1.6 was the supposed max that day..it was flat calm untill we heard the rip coming and tried to wait it out as "navionics" read we were sitting at incoming slack.

This was the first experience of this in about 8 yrs of anchoring up for hali..always back trolled and jigged like a man before.
But its good to know im not an expert and can still learn.thanks guys.

Lots of valuable info in this thread. Big thanks go out to those with experiences on the water both good and bad. Makes my decision to stay home this coming weekend much easier. Memorial Day weekend looks much better. Safety first.

Not sure I understand fully..... so how are you roping off at say 300 feet of line when your total line is 600??
You still have to release from the bow to the buoy somehow.....

with main line ,figure 8 tied at say 300', this attached to beaner at buoy, this line slackly run back to the boat and tied off at cleat, with balance of 300' in the box.... sliding line takes the pull from the bow with a 50' tag line with a small cork in the middle to keep it floating and visual...in an emergency you can either throw the whole 600 over or cut it at the cleat, cut your sliding line and you are free... no going near the bow!! ever!!

Back