Halibut allocation policy does make sense

quote:Originally posted by fish4all

quote:Originally posted by chris73

I am for 50% of the TAC as gift to the anglers and every pound the commercials want more than their 50% they need to buy from us!
If the lodges and charters were able to use commercial quota there would be lots to go around. 68% of the publics share is being used to subsidise the commercial sports group....nice free gift:D

This is an attitude that really p!$$e$ me off.

Just because we make a few bucks from taking the PUBLIC fishing does not make us COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN. It makes us TAXI DRIVERS.

We make our money from OPPURTUNITY and ACCESS. Without ACCESS there is no OPPURTUNITY.

BTW, 68% of the sports catch is only 8% of the Total TAC.

Here is my thinking – Give us our 2 per day / 3 possession limits, our regular season, that we have had for many years now. Estimate what that catch will be, and then divvy up the rest of the TAC between the commercial guys. If there is excess that can go to the commercials above a certain limit, then they can buy it from us at market rates and that money, 100% of it will go to figuring out how to make more Halibut. For instance, and they be farmed, or does it take too long to grow them to market size?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Jim, you have to realize one simple concept of the commercial sport fishery, and yes that is what we are.. Do you not agree that if the average J.A. purchases a licence and fills his boat full of newbies, he is going to hammer the stocks to the extent of say a taxi driver that sets achor, baits hooks, and tells them when to set the hook.....
I am far from being the type of person too ***** about such a problem, but if we keep up this inscesent whining about how the lodges and charter guys are not getting their share, especially when you have guys promoting their business and pics on the site, do you think anyone will have simpathy for you.. Come on, if I counted how many Halis I take, never mind my co-ops, and that is only one operation, do you think I should be intitled to what damage I do..
I have seen what the comm. does and I do not agree with it believe me, especially when I can follow a liner and get my quota of 100yr. old snapper with my gaff, not only for the chows but myself as well, and still watch a sea of pumkins wash by me.. I am not hacking you, but eyes have to be opened.. Look at the bookings this year, is it realistic in saying that the avg. Joe we used to depend on is not going to buy his meat at the grocery store instead of spending the fee that we require to operate.. I will leave it at that..-dirty[V]

That's true dirty, we need to recognize that there is a two-tiered element of sportfishing and halibut access (rec and commercial rec) and proceed on the issue together. Some people have financial interests, some have personal interests, etc...but we all have one common interest and that is access. So if one component of the group (i.e. commercial sport) may be creating a situation where the harvest plan is affected for all of the groups interests, than we either have to agree to work together, or seperate the real rec anglers and the commercial rec anglers and proceed independantly. Personally I think there would be benefits either way, but right now by the way things are going, things are obviously not working that well for all of us.

quote:
This is an attitude that really p!$$e$ me off.

Just because we make a few bucks from taking the PUBLIC fishing does not make us COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN. It makes us TAXI DRIVERS.

We make our money from OPPURTUNITY and ACCESS. Without ACCESS there is no OPPURTUNITY.

BTW, 68% of the sports catch is only 8% of the Total TAC.

Here is my thinking – Give us our 2 per day / 3 possession limits, our regular season, that we have had for many years now. Estimate what that catch will be, and then divvy up the rest of the TAC between the commercial guys. If there is excess that can go to the commercials above a certain limit, then they can buy it from us at market rates and that money, 100% of it will go to figuring out how to make more Halibut. For instance, and they be farmed, or does it take too long to grow them to market size?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Jim;
The commercials have already leased quota from our sector. I belive it is 1.8mill that they paid. The concept of using that money to move fish back is what we are doing right now. The problem is once the 1.8mill is gone who is responsible to chip in??

If I owned a charter business I would make sure I had access for my clients by leasing enough fish to cover my season.

I think it is funny that you say take it away from the commercials. The part you seem to ignore is that most if not all fisherman TODAY had to purchase quota to make their business viable. So what is the problem with lodges and charters doing the same.

Yes it takes to long to grow a halibut to a size that is marketable. It is not cost effective.

Back