Halibut advice?

H

hbb

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm heading to Esperanza this week to fish for salmon. I've done well there in the past fishing the usual places, but wondered if I could get some advice for halibut. If the weather is cooperative, I'd like to run out and give it a go. Any advice on areas, or could you at least give me some advice on what to look for?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

FP

Do a search...top right
Just enter halibut for search,get a cold one and get ready for reading lots. A wealth of info on this site. It's awesome
vic

Just got back from fishing out of Esperanza for a few days. Not much to catching the halibut up there, just find the offshore sand/gravel valleys and you'll find butts. We trolled for them this time and did well using spoons which was a first for me. We were in about 250 feet of water. Out of Esperanza head out through Rolling Roadstead and head due west. Look at the charts as the 50 fathom line goes quite a ways further offshore north of the inlet which provides for a lot of pinnacles full of lings and rockfish. You can always pick through those and get a few butts as well, just more snaggy and I don't like losing gear.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I have been studying the chart and looking through the archives on this site. I'll post a report when I get back.

Back