Hali Leaders

Trowser

I was just wondering the length, strenght of line, and size of hooks people use off their spreader bars in the victoria area for halis.

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Trowser

I was just wondering the length, strenght of line, and size of hooks people use off their spreader bars in the victoria area for halis.

Thanks

I use 100# Triplefish mono line with the largest circle hooks I can buy on the local market - not sure the exact size. I snell the hook to the line almost the same way as a mooching leader.

You could probably use lighter line down to say 60#, but watch for nicks in the line and re-tie the line if found.

You can also go down a size in the circle hooks as well, but I am trying to be ready for that big one that I don't want to get away.

I'm also trying to make it more difficult for smaller Rockfish to take the bait - Halibut don't seem to have a problem picking up big hooks and bait and don't seem to be shy about heavy leaders.

As for line length - I generally run about 24" to 36". Try and put a nice shiny Spin-n-Glow on the line by the hook, or something that tends to float to keep it off the bottm and prevent snagging bottom.

Another trick is to hang your weight on a couple of feet of light mono line - say 40# or 50# so that it will break off and you only lose the weight rather than the whole rig if you hook up.

Back