Hali fishing oak bay

S

SSfisher

Hey guys, I've been thinking of making a trip to oak bay to try some halibut fishing. Im not after anything huge, as im only gonna be in a 16' Hourston. i would just like to have a chance at hooking into one. So if anyone is willing to give up some suggestions on what i should do, like depths, structure, anchoring, etc. it would be much appreciated. thanks guys. p.s. I've got tons of experience fishing other bottom fish like lings, but never tried for halibut.

Oakbay covers a pretty big area if you're talking halibut fishing...
if you have a chartplotter you can map out your own fishing plan
using the charts to find structure to anchor around.
i don't know too many hallie boys that will give up their favourite spots. However you could try drifting the flats on a slow tide
from 120 to 180' deep using the usual gear.
the fish are there, i caught one incidentally sunday while fishing
springs.[8D]

Tides are slow this weekend so you may want to drift the flats this weekend in 120+ ft of water. There's not much structure out there to anchor around but I've heard of a few nice hali's being caught 40-50 lb range over the last 2 weeks. On the flood, you can try the back side of Discovery but check the regs for the closed areas. Good luck!

talked to an old guy the other weekend who has been doing really well on the flats lately - so worth a try.

Back