Haida Gwaii

Wow, Flashman—-fantastic pictures! And good info—-thanks! So ——you Guys came from Hartley Bay across Hecate in your whaler?

Meanwhile....I’m loaded for bear:

D69F759F-DF7A-4695-9C30-722C5F4C4C91.jpeg

Last edited:
I always caught the ferry over. Never had more than 2 weeks off work so didn't want to get stuck on island with bad weather in the Hecate. It can easily blow 25-30kn for a week straight up there even in the summer. I wouldn't worry about running across if the weather is good. In bad weather it can be one of the worst places on the coast, but it's been crossed by kayak, row boat and at least one 12ft lund with a 9.9 that I know of. Just pick your days.

I haven't stopped for fuel in Hartley Bay. I've always packed enough fuel when I've been in the area. Buddy in Kitimat has warned me about the fuel dock there though.

I got fuel in hartley bay on the to Rupert. The following summer the same group spent the night at hartley and had fuel flown in...they had none when they arrived. We traveled on jet skis so range was limited.

Klemtu fuel we had to wait over and hour to get fuel as nobody was tending the dock.

I got fuel in hartley bay on the to Rupert. The following summer the same group spent the night at hartley and had fuel flown in...they had none when they arrived. We traveled on jet skis so range was limited.

Klemtu fuel we had to wait over and hour to get fuel as nobody was tending the dock.
I got stuck in Shearwater around 2012 for 2 or 3 days waiting for fuel to come in. Both Shearwater and Bella Bella were out.

Back