Group-cuts-30-metre-wide-hole-in-jetty-opens-path-for-salmon-not-seen-in-100-years

@Last_Call and I pulled some ding dong off the jetty at dusk heading back in N Arm few weeks ago that walked out that afternoon at low tide across the gap and was stuck on other side. I’m sure it won’t be the last. You’re welcome Alan! :D
New water taxi service opportunity - benefits galore.

Fuel Surcharge = $100
Dangerous Rescue Surcharge = $150
Darwin Award Application = $400

Total Fees and Services = $650

hopefully these jetty breaches work out well for salmon. they did 3 in the north arm jetty recently and a handful in the south arm jetty last year. despite the price tag these sort of projects can have major bang for buck. provided access to existing habitat known to be great habitat for juvenile salmon is a hell of a lot cheaper (and better) than trying to build new habitat. Having a few access points for salmon leaving the south and north arm will allow more juveniles to adapt to their new saltwater enviro which is a key time in their lives. before these breaches the salmon all bombed out the main stems and made them easy prey for the birds and hundreds of seals chillin on log booms, etc. this project will ideally spread out the timing of when juvenile salmon enter the marine environment as well as spread out the entry points (ie they can now leave from anywhere between the north and south arm). Kudos to those undertaking this work. Even if you (and I) don't agree with Raincoast's position on fishing, etc this work is good work for salmon.

hopefully these jetty breaches work out well for salmon. they did 3 in the north arm jetty recently and a handful in the south arm jetty last year. despite the price tag these sort of projects can have major bang for buck. provided access to existing habitat known to be great habitat for juvenile salmon is a hell of a lot cheaper (and better) than trying to build new habitat. Having a few access points for salmon leaving the south and north arm will allow more juveniles to adapt to their new saltwater enviro which is a key time in their lives. before these breaches the salmon all bombed out the main stems and made them easy prey for the birds and hundreds of seals chillin on log booms, etc. this project will ideally spread out the timing of when juvenile salmon enter the marine environment as well as spread out the entry points (ie they can now leave from anywhere between the north and south arm). Kudos to those undertaking this work. Even if you (and I) don't agree with Raincoast's position on fishing, etc this work is good work for salmon.
I agree with you on the above of course.. Still BS how this organizatiuon and others wheel that 2 blade sword around and put out so many mis truths about stuff and are not held accountable for such BS.. just my 2 bites

I agree, this is great work and it included a number of different groups and governments.

Restoring estuary connectivity on the delta of the Fraser River estuary​

Recipient: Raincoast Conservation Foundation

Project goal: The aim of this project is to improve habitat connectivity and natural processes on the banks of the Fraser estuary. This will be achieved by addressing historically constructed flow control structures that present physical barriers to estuarine processes and limit juvenile fish migration.

These activities will directly benefit juvenile chinook and other Pacific salmon species, as well as many other species which rely on the estuary. Better access throughout the Fraser estuary will potentially improve early marine survival for Pacific salmon.

Time frame: 5 years

Fund allocation: $2,658,217

Is there a long term plan with the port to keep these dredged out?

Back