Grizzly Hunting-- Yea or Nay?

Good response sitka.I know that most hunters care/know more about the resource than most antis ever will. Doesnt seem to be a right or wrong view on pred hunting. I hate seeing hunters blanket forests in snares trying to take a wolf pack out but I would like to see a seal cull in areas so maybe im being a hypocrite.

Dave throw up that grizz pic. what did it score?

Kelly Im thinking you took what i said the wrong way its the antis that are trying to take it away from hunters its always been here has been for years then the NDP stopped it for about 1 year and holy hell was created by the rural community that suffered the most from predators killing livestock.
This is going to be no different than the fight we have up against us soon for fishing maybe you will think differently when it hits closer to what you like.

Btw if it makes you feel any better Ive shot one Grizz in my life and that was in a camp and was a problem bear. Instructed to do so by a CO which he came and got. Seen very many from the rivers I used to guide on to all the trips I did into glendale cove showing tourists the great and Magnificent grizzly!!!! fun the first couple of times then it becomes very boring, sorry to say how many pics do you need of a grizz eating sedge grass.....

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Not to change the topic. But i am heading over to either nitinat or Port Renfrew this weekend looking for a Blackie andybody seen many out and about? If anybody else is going to be out we could arrange a meeting Sat. evening and continue this debate over a few cold ones.

quote:Man has screwed up the natural process so bad that man now has to play in part with mother nature to help keep some animals in check.

This is the arrogance of Man, we FUBAR nature then have the audacity to say that we can hunt things back into balance. Maybe we should start hunting the J-pod, those damn orcas are eating ET fraser river springs! We need to balance out the damn orca populations[:eek:)].

Mark me down as a no for trophy hunting,I feel its an antiquated mentality. A lot of trophy hunters are doing it for the pure pleasure of killing a big powerful animal and that to me is wrong.

Just my opinion, if its legal by all means do what ever your conscious allows.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

If man has screwed up the natural balance in nature why would you want to put man in charge of trying to control nature? Seems the wrong choice! How about man controlling man, that would be a fantastic start for all wildlife!!!!

Wow, some very thought provoking views with good arguments for,but the against are pretty well idealogical arguments which are fine as we are all entitled to have an opinion.Lets look at this from the fishing view as this is a fishing forum.Having been involved somewhat in the guiding business I cannot deny that the majority of the clients I worked with were trophy fisherman.Yes there were the ones that just came to catch a salmon (KING) but up in the Charlottes where the big money is spent they want big fish.Do not ask how many small springs regardless of how bad they were bleeding were released and ended up dogfish food.The same with chicken halibut that wre dead by the time they reached the bottom as the customer wanted a bigger one as his limit was only 3 then 2.Tell the customer that he has to keep that 4th spring even if it is only 20 lbs. and he looks at you and says no we'll wait for the 35-40 or 50.They are trophy hunters as well and up until the last day of there trip most remain so,wrong yes,but happening all the time.

Scored 25 3/8 green...haven't got it officially scored yet...I'd guess with the shrinkage it'll be around 25 1/8 ish... B & C anyway... :) By far one of my most memorable hunts other than Africa...

GrizzlyHunting074adobe.jpg

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

NICE BEAR SG

a beauty....I vote yes to trophy. hunting..:D

I'm sorry Serengeti Guide, when i see your cherubic face beside that gut-shot bear i just simply feel sorry for you both, (Big) man...

Backlash that comment is a little out of line. You can voice your opinion but I disagree with trying to make Serengetti look bad.
Man's existance has always depended on creatures of the land losing their lives, if you disagree with that fine, but that does not mean that you are superior to others. Eat your veggies and abide with the rest!

IMG_1445.jpg

Hang on a second Gunsmith, it seems to me that SG was being a little provocative by posting the photo. I have no prob there. Actually glad he did, interesting to see, and I think no less of him for it -assuming he made use of the animal of course. And BacKlash responded in kind, with another moderately provocative post. No harm no foul, right? I'm not sure that BacKlash's comment is any different from the pro-trophy hunters on here accusing the opposition of being ignorant urbanites whose opinions are irrelevant to the debate. That too is disagreement framed by trying to make us look bad.

Anyway, posting an opinion on an opinion like this is a digression from the material issue. And not really a big deal either. On the whole I am with you GS, probably best to keep the debate objective and respectful.

I have no problem with backlash's comment either...other than the "(big) man" part of it...it's as if some of these anti hunters and what not think it's done to pad the ego...that makes absolutely no sense...never do I feel like a bigger man after killing an animal, if anything it puts things in perspective and level heads me to rethink the value of life, how quickly it can be taken away, and how while you are alive you have to live every second to the best of your ability. After killing any animal, while not a religious man, I say a prayer for them and give an offering, as should any hunter.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Well steelhead , when I read replies like "you hunters" I have to laugh because it shows how divided we "sportspersons" are. It is no damned wonder that the Government can do whatever they please with us because in gerneral we are a spineless bunch that bite at each other rather than group together and push the ruling level into seeing our way.
If you even look closely fishers alone are divided into so many groups such as "you worm slingers" oh so barbaric! Or "you fly fishing people" Think your chit don't stink? I can go on and on but in short get a life, get together, and work it out!:(:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Hey GS, still mostly in agreement with you. I am a staunch proponent of building unity and cooperation among different user groups. But within our sporting community, surely we can discuss ethical issues without dividing into irreconcilable factions?

Optics is an important part of public advocacy. As a sporting community whose interests are under attack from the outside, it might be important to decide amongst ourselves what practices are most important for us. If trophy hunting is a practice that gives our opponents undeserved public support and provides little benefit to us, perhaps it is not something we should support uncritically. Hence the question: grizzly hunting, yea or nay?

I certainly hope I didn't come across as being divisive and saying something like "you hunters". I am one myself, though I am just starting out. It is interesting that the simple question that started this thread has generated so much discussion. Just like a real conversation. In my opinion, it has been informative, productive and respectful.

Steelhead you have not said anything wrong, I have been following the thread and have noted such comments.Backlash went to comments as "cherubic face and gutshot" Seems to me he was making assumptions.
You are right on the money with your reply and I agree with it.
I don't hunt bears but that does not mean that I should dis those who do.:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

If trophy hunting is a practice that gives our opponents undeserved public support and provides little benefit to us, perhaps it is not something we should support uncritically. Hence the question: grizzly hunting, yea or nay?

I certainly hope I didn't come across as being divisive and saying something like "you hunters". I am one myself, though I am just starting out. It is interesting that the simple question that started this thread has generated so much discussion. Just like a real conversation. In my opinion, it has been informative, productive and respectful.

Steelhead

So as a new hunter, what is your definition of "Trophy Hunting"??

If we start to agree with the anti's on anything to do with hunting or fishing, you are starting to open the door to splitting the group. I believe we cannot stand for one thing in our sport, but against the chose of another. As GS said, we already have that in archery vs crossbow vs muzzleloader vs rifles, or flyfishers vs hardware chuckers vs trolling vs mooching. it would make you shake your head if you get to hear some of the BS that comes out of one vs another.

Hunting or fishing is still hunting or fishing, no matter how many different ways yo use to reach your quest. In the end you bring home what you went out for in the first place.

I do not like handguns and see little need for them, other than shooting competitions, but as a gun owning group, we needed to stand together to fight the rules of registration. I will never speak up against hand gun owners because of my own beliefs. Each person is entitled to their own choses and rights.

Just remember, United we stand, Divided we fall.

And also remember, a "Trophy is in the eye of the beholder" and nobody else.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Back