Gritty clams Help!

Islandgirl

We picked a bunch of varnish clams and rinsed and then well to start.
Changed the water often and kept them alive for about 30 hours and they are still gritty ..

Any ideas how to get the sand out?

Sea water and quick oats for a day. But if you have a dud full of sand when you cook them the whole batch will need be rinsed with water individually.

I have cooked up a couple of great chowders in the last couple of days using littlenecks. Left them overnight in saltwater and had no problem. Butter clams need more time, and oats do help a bit . Today I dug up a limit of Manillas, they are soaking in saltwater overnight and then they will be great as steamers.

What Owen says about empties full of sand is 100% correct

Tomorrow will bring steamed manillas, and BBQed oysters infused with Thai chili sauce!! Man-- I love the Island!!!

I have cooked up a couple of great chowders in the last couple of days using littlenecks. Left them overnight in saltwater and had no problem. Butter clams need more time, and oats do help a bit . Today I dug up a limit of Manillas, they are soaking in saltwater overnight and then they will be great as steamers.

Tomorrow will bring steamed manillas, and BBQed oysters infused with Thai chili sauce!! Man-- I love the Island!!!

So what time is dinner...LOL

We hung some over the dock for a day or two then into oatmeal for 4-5 hours.. they were way better.
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like freshwater soak with oatmeal, but varnish clams are always prone to grittiness in my experience. Littlenecks are the go.

I saw on triple D a place that did like 1ooo pounds a week used cornmeal, always kept in the back of head incase I ever need to degrit clams.

Amen, it really is a little piece of paradise isn't it?

Would fresh water not kill them?

Theory explained to me by my late mother in law was the fresh water put them in distress and they would spit up any grit. I'm no bivalve biologist but it seems to work. We eat them that following day after they're picked.

put them in a 20 liter pail with holes in it and put them underwater again for 24 hoursadd, some oatmeal and there donejust dont eat any dead ones

Back