Great fish story

REIDNICOL

while fishing the Port Albernia Derby, we were out at Cape Beale where we had a awesome day the day before. Large Jerk on my rod and No word of a lie the fish swallowed two hooks my anchovie and my teaser head and either snaped my line in his teeth or just broke it. I have 40 pound line on all my achovies. HOW BIG WAS IT???? HAS THAT EVER HAPPENED TO YOU????

Reid

Did you use that leader the day before? How many fish did it catch? How many times did someone stand on the leader when the fish was in the net?

Had a good one off Secret Cove this year. My first time fishing @ Epson Point. I arrive at sundown and figure I have an hour, two at best of light to fish. It is just me, and two other boats fishing, the two boats about 150 yards off my stern, both within about 15 yards of eachother.
I hear shouting from one boat, "Its under your boat its under your boat!" Assessing the situation I figure it can't be under me, I am too far away and the 2nd boat is nearly ontop of the first. I continue working gear and trolling. After setting a few rods, I look up to see the two boats have parted, and one of them is in reverse, in hot pursuit of me! He has water piling over the stern, he's givin er!
I quickly put my hand on the downrigger line and can feel his mono dragging along my braided line. ****. It WAS under my boat, and given the distance, its likely a great catch. ****. What have I done!

I slam the boat to a stop, with the wind and current swinging my bow 180 degrees, thus wrapping my DR cables and lines in the water over my main engine, above and below the cavitation plate. One hell of a tangled mess. I cut the mainline of all three rods. Knowing I have braid on the DR, I hope it is soft enough and has not cut off the fish. After 5 minutes of madness the boat with the hooked fish is now beside me, both our engines turned off, and the 4 of us get to work dealing with all the crossed lines and downrigger cable. His rod is slack, the angler (his first nice salmon) is heartbroken. I felt the same.
Progressively we worked on untangling each line, cutting where we could. Nearing the end of the job, I look down to see a loose strand of line sitting on the stern laying in the water. I grab the line. It's trailing well behind the drifting boats. It wasn't snagged on my boat, or the other. It was simply laying on the transom waiting for me to pick it up. I start slowly yarding it in as we all laugh, "don't worry guys, I got the fish right here". But something wasn't right, there was no resistance, no head shakes, no change in direction. I kept pulling, there was slight tension, I figured a flasher in the water at best.
I pull, I pull....one last pull, and out from the murk rises the dark back of a large Chinook. Not quite 30, but pushing 25. I shout "get the net get the net!!" Everyone looks at me in disbelief, and looks to the water in shock. The fish is still there, happily swimming along with out boats. The net gets dipped. The fish swims in. Beers were on me.

I didn't get a bite that night but it was surely one hell of a catch. The captain of the other ship remained calm, and handled my buffoonery like a real gentleman. It was an odd, but great start to a more than enjoyable trip to Secret Cove.

Cheers

Haha great story. Amazing what can happen on the water.

I miss fishing off Thormanby. Be sure and try live bait if you go again.

Had a good one off Secret Cove this year. My first time fishing @ Epson Point. I arrive at sundown and figure I have an hour, two at best of light to fish. It is just me, and two other boats fishing, the two boats about 150 yards off my stern, both within about 15 yards of eachother.
I hear shouting from one boat, "Its under your boat its under your boat!" Assessing the situation I figure it can't be under me, I am too far away and the 2nd boat is nearly ontop of the first. I continue working gear and trolling. After setting a few rods, I look up to see the two boats have parted, and one of them is in reverse, in hot pursuit of me! He has water piling over the stern, he's givin er!
I quickly put my hand on the downrigger line and can feel his mono dragging along my braided line. ****. It WAS under my boat, and given the distance, its likely a great catch. ****. What have I done!

I slam the boat to a stop, with the wind and current swinging my bow 180 degrees, thus wrapping my DR cables and lines in the water over my main engine, above and below the cavitation plate. One hell of a tangled mess. I cut the mainline of all three rods. Knowing I have braid on the DR, I hope it is soft enough and has not cut off the fish. After 5 minutes of madness the boat with the hooked fish is now beside me, both our engines turned off, and the 4 of us get to work dealing with all the crossed lines and downrigger cable. His rod is slack, the angler (his first nice salmon) is heartbroken. I felt the same.
Progressively we worked on untangling each line, cutting where we could. Nearing the end of the job, I look down to see a loose strand of line sitting on the stern laying in the water. I grab the line. It's trailing well behind the drifting boats. It wasn't snagged on my boat, or the other. It was simply laying on the transom waiting for me to pick it up. I start slowly yarding it in as we all laugh, "don't worry guys, I got the fish right here". But something wasn't right, there was no resistance, no head shakes, no change in direction. I kept pulling, there was slight tension, I figured a flasher in the water at best.
I pull, I pull....one last pull, and out from the murk rises the dark back of a large Chinook. Not quite 30, but pushing 25. I shout "get the net get the net!!" Everyone looks at me in disbelief, and looks to the water in shock. The fish is still there, happily swimming along with out boats. The net gets dipped. The fish swims in. Beers were on me.

I didn't get a bite that night but it was surely one hell of a catch. The captain of the other ship remained calm, and handled my buffoonery like a real gentleman. It was an odd, but great start to a more than enjoyable trip to Secret Cove.

Cheers

Great Story

It could of been a dog fish but we never saw any out there for 2 1/2 days of fishing on that same spot.

OH well We will never know, it just nice to think we COULD of won the derby, how awesome would that of been.

Reid

OH well We will never know, it just nice to think we COULD of won the derby, how awesome would that of been.

Reid

In the same neck of the woods where you had your incident, I witnessed the same a few times. I grew up fishing Barkley sound with my old man. On more than one occasion I can remember 40 pound mono leaving a 6 inch Peetz at an alarming rate of speed after a vicious take only to be broken off without ever getting an eyeball with the beast.

Sometimes the fish kicks your butt and you're left wondering what the hell was on the end of the line.

And that being said, We've all had 15 pounders that fight like a tyee and big fish that come in like a wet dish rag.

Ain't fishing great? LOL

Back