Good Spinning Rod for Salmon?

el.Pereh

I usually do my Salmon fishing trolling around Vancouver and the Fraser mouth in the summer and early fall, but late this fall I tried out fishing for chum and coho on the Squamish River for the first time at I am hooked. What a great way to fish!

What I didn't like was all the backlashes I was getting with my baitcasting reel. I am not proficient enough with it to use it in all applications so I thought I would pick up a spinning setup to go along with it. I have a spinning reel already.

Any suggestions for rods under $150? What should I be looking for in the action: fast, medium? What about rod power, do can I get away with medium or do I need MH or heavy? Length?

Thank you for your assistance!

el Pereh

I have been using a 7 foot Ugly stick and im fairly impressed.( its a medium i believe) Good for the smaller salmon (pinks) and good for the larger ones.(chum) I used it for Coho in the open ocean as well. Very sensitive as well, which is important when river fishing for salmon.

Pretty cheap too, and Durable, So if you do manage to break it, you can buy another. The main importance lies in the reel. A good drag is the key... too many times i see a worn out cheap reel and people loosing large fish when they run down stream like freight trains.

Some people like longer rods, but i find them annoying for river fishing, besides, you don't really have to cast super far anyways.

In the past I have done a lot of fishing from shore. Since technology and construction change over the years it is hard to come up with an actual make. 7 feet might work if you are mooching or casting from a boat. But if you are casting from shore you might want a longer stiffer rod with a a fairly flexible tip. But too long and you will have a lot of difficulty casting in tight quarters. Don't go cheap on the reel as this will make or break bringing in a fish. You want a very smooth drag with lots of line. The reel is more important than the rod. Over the years I have caught about 3 dozen salmon from shore. Steelhead casting rods work well.

I own two 9'6" fenwick eagle gt's. If you can find one somewhere, buy it! $100. This rod is perfect for Coho, Chum and Steelhead. You need the 9'6" rod to be able to work a river, if you plan on doing any float fishing then you will need the longer spinning rod.

Thank you for the tips! Why do you need more length for float fishing?

What line rating/lure size is that fenwick good for? I heard it can really effect the action/casting distance...

Longer rods keep the line out of the water better,between the rod tip and the float, for a drag free drift.

You need a longer rod for float fishing to keep your line from contacting the water. By doing this, you create a drag
free drift as your float travels downstream. If your line catches the current,it will cause your line to"belly" and will
make your gear travel in a unnatural speed and,or direction. This unnatural type of drift can spook fish,as they sense
something not quite right about it.You will find float fishing alot tougher with a spinning setup.This is where a
baitcaster or centerpin reel shine,because they feed line out in a much more controlled manner.

Back