Good read

100 percent agree with this statement:

Similarly, the most recent DFO closure of the recreational fishery shows a concerning influence of the powerful ENGO lobby. Rather than fulfilling their public mandate by taking meaningful, science-based measures to address the salmon and SRKW issue, DFO continually opts to placate the often unfounded, yet always well-funded ENGO demands.

"The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans is currently hearing testimony from various fisheries-related sectors. Despite the often conflicting interests represented, a common and growing refrain calls for the complete elimination and re-structuring of the entire agency."

One can hope...

"The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans is currently hearing testimony from various fisheries-related sectors. Despite the often conflicting interests represented, a common and growing refrain calls for the complete elimination and re-structuring of the entire agency."

One can hope...
Remember: Be careful of what you wish for.

An example of this is a lot of people want the Province to run it.

Well just look at how well they have done looking after Steelhead and Sea Run Cutthroat?

Look at the water rights on rivers in BC. Think the Province has done a good job there?

Politics are running it now and don’t expect that will change, regardless of who is in charge.

If Science was the only reason used as noted, then there would be no gill netting in any river that has Steelhead.
The commercial fishery and the SportsfIshery would be closed longer than it is now and in more places.
There would have to be evaluations of all rivers and lakes to ensure there was enough water for the fish to survive.

However, here we are and science was lobbied against by ALL groups. Yes the ENGO group did not say, FN must pull all their nets in the river.

So, it is shown that Science is great as long as it does not effect any group.

Last edited:

One can hope...
Ya people that put the fish first, not there ideology, fact based decisions would be nice, not a bunch of lies that the liberals gobble up

Remember: Be careful of what you wish for.

An example of this is a lot of people want the Province to run it.

Well just look at how well they have done looking after Steelhead and Sea Run Cutthroat?

Look at the water rights on rivers in BC. Think the Province has done a good job there?

Politics are running it now and don’t expect that will change, regardless of who is in charge.

If Science was the only reason used as noted, then there would be no gill netting in any river that has Steelhead.
The commercial fishery and the SportsfIshery would be closed longer than it is now and in more places.
There would have to be evaluations of all rivers and lakes to ensure there was enough water for the fish to survive.

However, here we are and science was lobbied against by ALL groups. Yes the ENGO group did not say, FN must pull all their nets in the river.

So, it is shown that Science is great as long as it does not effect any group.
Ok I will bite, why are the steelhead gone ???? Because of all the gillnets strung from bank to bank on all rivers with decent runs, that’s a fact, so based on facts and science gillnets have to go,

Ok I will bite, why are the steelhead gone ???? Because of all the gillnets strung from bank to bank on all rivers with decent runs, that’s a fact, so based on facts and science gillnets have to go,
Said that.

Steelhead aren't all gone because of first nations gill nets. They have done their damage and continue to and on depressed stocks that cant handle anymore stress. However the biggest damage has been done by habitat destruction the gill nets are the nail in the coffin however and it seems no one cares including a lot of first nations. Steelhead are a nuisance to commercial interests and have been treated as such leading to their decline which dfo doesn't mind because it makes their jobs easier and the province doesn't mind because that's one less management department for them to pretend is functional. This article is right that these closure will do nothing to help orca or fish however the problem I keep reading is people keep using one very limited and basically useless study that assumes because there are a couple fish in the water orca's aren't starving. The study does not show abundance in historical or even short term historical numbers just more than zero which doesn't equate to abundance or even survivable numbers of chinook for the srkw. Its basically junk science that keeps getting regurgitated as if its gospel without anyone actually scrutinizing the lack of data it used to assume that food isn't a problem for the population. DFO's regulations are stupid however that doesn't change the fact that srkw are not thriving and that is a direct result of low chinook numbers and declining average size of fish which is the same problem us sports fisherman are facing, and we are both being screwed by dfo so they can look good to the population of pea brains.

Steelhead aren't all gone because of first nations gill nets. They have done their damage and continue to and on depressed stocks that cant handle anymore stress. However the biggest damage has been done by habitat destruction the gill nets are the nail in the coffin however and it seems no one cares including a lot of first nations. Steelhead are a nuisance to commercial interests and have been treated as such leading to their decline which dfo doesn't mind because it makes their jobs easier and the province doesn't mind because that's one less management department for them to pretend is functional. This article is right that these closure will do nothing to help orca or fish however the problem I keep reading is people keep using one very limited and basically useless study that assumes because there are a couple fish in the water orca's aren't starving. The study does not show abundance in historical or even short term historical numbers just more than zero which doesn't equate to abundance or even survivable numbers of chinook for the srkw. Its basically junk science that keeps getting regurgitated as if its gospel without anyone actually scrutinizing the lack of data it used to assume that food isn't a problem for the population. DFO's regulations are stupid however that doesn't change the fact that srkw are not thriving and that is a direct result of low chinook numbers and declining average size of fish which is the same problem us sports fisherman are facing, and we are both being screwed by dfo so they can look good to the population of pea brains.
at this point i suspect your Joyce Murrays or David Suzuki's troll account, unless your out in the gulf island your opinion is mostly junk. Here are two studies from two local universities, every other population of killer whales have adapted except the SKW, and as they are increasing along with their appetite, add to this an exploded seals population with no predations and huge appetites'

UBC

" A popular belief that there are fewer Chinook salmon during the summer in Canadian waters for southern resident killer whales, compared to an abundance of fish for northern resident killer whales, has been debunked by a study led by scientists at the University of British Columbia. "

this one from the UW actually blames the whales themselves for the decline in the larger chinooks

UW

" A new University of Washington and NOAA study points to the recent rise of resident killer whales, and their insatiable appetite for large Chinook salmon, as the main driver behind the decline of the big fish. "

Hey steeler, wanna know whats a fact and no personal beliefs encroaching on it? The fact that our new minister job is to manage the fishery. Key word here is fishery. However her motives she made very clear with her own words and actions. She said that her goal as fisheries minister is to keep as many thing alive as possible in the ocean. Turns out that's not her job. I know she thinks it is because of her own personal agenda. That's the problem. Don't need to be a part of one side left or right of government to understand that. It's pure dishonesty. I can tell you this, our west coast fishery is my life and my contribution to our economy depends on it. There's really no opinions on that. Just facts. We all love this ****. Some of us just depend on it more than others. My 2c

Last edited:
I apologize for calling you names it just slipped out and this isn't the place for that agreed,sorry. I have a quick bit of time to come on here and write stuff and grow tired of my reasons for writing things being questioned constantly I'm just a guy who fished his whole life and wants the same for his kids so I chime in when I hear disinformation or studies that have holes in them. I have no other motives and stand by what I say as real world what I've seen and read in my lifetime stuff. I didn't say I think all conservatives are idiots or liberals are great I have never voted for nor will for either of them but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Good on you for owning it, all debates are good, we don’t have to agree, but discussion is needed and opinions on all sides need to be debated to get results. Some facts we can’t debate, one of them is we getting screwed by our government when it comes to fisheries management

Hey steeler, wanna know whats a fact and no personal beliefs encroaching on it? The fact that our new minister job is to manage the fishery. Key word here is fishery. However her motives she made very clear with her own words and actions. She said that her goal as fisheries minister is to keep as many thing alive as possible in the ocean. Turns out that's not her job. I know she thinks it is because of her own personal agenda. That's the problem. Don't need to be a part of one side left or right of government to understand that. It's pure dishonesty. I can tell you this, our west coast fishery is my life and my contribution to our economy depends on it. There's really no opinions on that. Just facts. We all love this ****. Some of us just depend on it more than others. My 2c
Agreed as I have posted on here before dfo has turned its back on the guiding industry and given little consideration for the economic well being of people in the industry. The regulations brought in through the last few years do nothing to put more fish on the spawning grounds or rebuild the stocks of concern. These changes have been a form of green washing to cover for industrial activities that require increased tankers and shipping through our waters, to appear as if they are doing something to gain votes in urban areas with little attachment to what is really happening in the water. Ministers are simply figureheads again to green wash the public and gain votes from people who cant see the reality much like claiming evs will save us or lng is a greener option. They are hollow and meaningless but give the appearance that our government is doing something rather than just business as usual for big corporations while us little guys continue to get screwed. If opportunities for business were lost for snc lavalin or bombardier there would be bail outs and government money being thrown around but when business is hindered or shut down in B.C its tough **** for us.

Back