Good Article on Why Not to Vote NDP

SerengetiGuide

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/northislandgazette/opinion/35429904.html

The fall legislative session has come and gone, five days of accusations and insults that demonstrated how unready the NDP is to govern the province in uncertain times.

The favourite theme for the NDP was that Premier Gordon Campbell’s economic stimulus program was sketched out on an envelope. No kidding. but a quick look at the capitals of the world since the collapse of commodity, stock and financial markets show a lot of envelope-sketching, notably at the highest levels of the U.S. government.

The NDP rushed out their own recovery plan in October, based on windfall revenues they had to know were drying up. Once Finance Minister Colin Hansen released the latest economic update, showing B.C.’s projected revenues are expected to shrink by $3 billion over three years, the NDP started to back delicately away from firm spending commitments.

But there are two things they can’t back away from. They will repeal the carbon tax on fossil fuels and leave the tax cuts in place.

Indeed, after a week of bluster and blame, the Opposition voted for the B.C. Liberal bill that accelerates the first round of tax cuts to put a modest refund in people’s hands next spring. Replacing that revenue to keep the schools and hospitals going just got a whole lot harder.

Second, they will immediately raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour. Just as “axe the gas tax” seemed attractive when energy prices were soaring, raising the minimum wage sounded good when the economy was roaring. This is not what business, especially small business, needs now.

Whatever becomes of the big U.S. auto makers in the months ahead, there is a huge structural change that was well underway before the current troubles, from big business to small.

Small businesses (the self-employed and businesses with 50 or fewer employees) represent 98 per cent of the 386,600 businesses registered in B.C. last year, and employ nearly half of all workers. They now account for a third of B.C.’s economic output, the highest of any province.

As B.C. Stats put it in a report last week, small business “is the primary source of private sector jobs in the province, reflecting an ongoing trend toward economic diversification. It is also a vital source of innovation – approximately 96 per cent of high technology businesses in B.C. are small businesses.”

Which brings me to the best and most original part of Campbell’s 10-point economic program: working with Alberta to set up a group pension scheme for the three out of four people who don’t have a company pension plan. Instead of trying to manage their own savings and investments, they can sign up for monthly payments to a large, professionally managed fund, just like teachers do.

Granted, this idea is at the ‘back of the envelope’ stage now. But as with trade and labour mobility, B.C. and Alberta are breaking new ground to deal with an evolving economy that won’t offer most people a job for life at the plant or mill followed by a secure retirement.

The NDP didn’t object to the pension proposal, but the party seems allergic to any kind of cooperation with Alberta. I can’t see this or other joint ventures going too far if there’s a change in the B.C. government next May.

These days the idea of government arbitrarily setting private sector wages, or spending money it doesn’t have to stimulate industries that have lost customers, seems quaint at best.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Here is the difference in leadership between Campbell and James:

http://www.theprovince.com/Business/Like+Campbell+give/1050830/story.html

Give Premier Gordon Campbell credit for standing up to the brazen, naked power grab that the scheming opposition parties tried to stage in Ottawa last week.

Unlike many other Canadian premiers who stayed on the sidelines in the debate, Campbell jumped in early by saying Stephen Harper's Conservatives should be allowed to remain in power at least long enough to table their budget in January.

That this was absolutely the correct position for Campbell to take has been borne out by what we're witnessing now --the Liberals tearing each other apart as they fight to replace the hapless Stéphane Dion as party leader.

This is the bunch that wanted to run Canada during a raging economic crisis? They can barely run their own political party without carving each other to pieces!

But the sad fact remains that the Liberals' wilting coalition with the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois could do a lot more damage than just scuttle a few political careers or ***** a few over-inflated egos.

Their attempted power grab could still hurt Canada at a time when we need stability more than ever. It would be bad for British Columbia.

I asked Campbell about the situation yesterday in his meeting with The Province's editorial board.

"I've never seen a reaction like that from people," he said. "Any confidence that Canadians may have had that federal MPs were going to work on behalf of them and the interests of the country was shattered."

Campbell doesn't buy the coalition's claim that Harper was not spending enough money, fast enough, to help the economy. And he scoffed at their own plan to spend $30 billion on an unspecified stimulus package.

"You don't just say, 'We're going to spend $30 billion. We'll let you know how,' " he said.

On the federal Liberal leadership circus: "If you need stability, you don't say, 'We'll have a leader for a bit, then there will be a new leader for a bit and then we'll wonder whether we'll have support for the new leader who's just taken over from the old leader.' "

On his concerns about the involvement of NDP Leader Jack Layton in the coalition, specifically Layton's call to renegotiate the softwood lumber settlement with the United States: "It would be devastating to the forest industry. It would likely close the industry down in the province of British Columbia."

Now compare these positions to what Carole James, leader the B.C. NDP, had to say about the coalition power grab.

While James was "concerned" about the machinations in Ottawa, her personal bottom line was to hope things would be settled quickly: "Whatever decision is come to, I want it to be done quickly and I want some stability in Ottawa."

Campbell jumped all over her cop-out comments.

"She's actually part of Jack Layton's New Democratic Party and she's not going to do anything that contradicts her leader. That is a real problem. I run for a party that is totally independent of any federal party because I think you always have to say what's best for the province.

"What I was talking about was what was best for the country. I don't think it's good enough to say, 'Well, I don't know what's best for the country, but I sure hope it happens soon.' "

Whatever you think of Campbell, you have to admit this: When the future of the country was on the line, he stood up. While James wimped out.

msmyth@theprovince.com

HEY!!! Aint you supposed to be studying or sumthin????? get back to work before your pappy comes and whacks yer a$$. !

(mutter , mutter-- thats the probem with todays generation-- no work ethic[V][^][V])

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Howdy,

Nice hook Serengeti; I'll bite.

When someone attempts to prop a goof like Campbell up on a pedestal, I get a little anxious.

Let me be clear, I ain't no fan of the NDP either. For me, the spring election will be finding a way to make an informed choice on the lesser of two-evils.

The only thing I'm certain of is that I won't vote for Campbell.

If he gets in again, this is what I believe will happen: The net-pen fishfarming industry will expand 10-fold (they're already ramping up production before the election). More and more of our precious salmon-bearing rivers and streams will be compromised to make hydro power to sell to the US. Next, our water will be sent South.

Campbell is selling our Province's resources down the river and he could give two-sh!ts about Pacific salmon. They are merely in his way.
Last night I saw him on the news again, standing behind a podium with his mouth flapping. He made reference to something to do with the economy of BC as he mentioned... 'logging, mining, and the retail sector'... not a peep about fishing!

Little wonder he's all hot to trot about getting into bed with Alberta; they're immersed in the ongoing process of giving away the rights to all their oil to foreigners. That kind of stuff is right up Gordie's alley.

It's a sad state indeed when the people have to go to the polls and make a choice between - bad & worse.

My 2-bits.

Cheers,
Terry

quote:If he gets in again, this is what I believe will happen: The net-pen fishfarming industry will expand 10-fold (they're already ramping up production before the election).
Well looks like 1 in 40 is at it again. Cant make a single post without slamming fish farms. Also gets nothing right. Let me get this straight. You want to vote for a party (NDP) that actually increased fish farms significantly when they were in power over a party (Fiberals) that put a moratorium on farms. Gee I would have thought even you would have got that right.

Oh, forgive me Gentlemen, I thought this was an Open Forum.

Barbender, did you miss the part where I said I wasn't a fan of the NDP either? Or, when I stated it's a sad state of affairs going to the polls to chose between 'bad or worse'?

Of course you did. It works to your advantage as you continue to attempt to discredit me for my opposition to fishfarming in the hopes of winning over others on this board; like LC.

While your at it, perhaps you could enlighten me as to what it was that 'I got wrong' on this particular post.

Serengeti launched the topic lauding Campbell's achievments. I simply pointed out a few things I belive he's doing wrong.

Cheers,
Terry

quote:Of course you did. It works to your advantage as you continue to attempt to discredit me for my opposition to fishfarming in the hopes of winning over others on this board
Waaaa....somebody questioned my rant and now my feelings are hurt. I could not care less about your credentials there 1 in 40. What I care about is giving accurate data and common sense logic on the topic and let grown adults make up their own decisions on what to believe. I doubt very much LC gives a rats butt about what I have to say. Nor do I sit up at night trying to figure out how to get people to gang up on you. I have a life.

The original post was mainly actually pointing out how useless the NDP is....then the 2nd story did not "laud" Campbell's achievements just pointed out how completely out to lunch Carol James is. She is a hypocrit and flip flops more than my sandals.

No where did I put Campbell on a pedesal...there are some things that he does that I don't agree with...however, he is the best choice for BC without a doubt in these times.

Serengeti: I agree with you that James was wishy washy because she was backing Layton's play in Ottawa and that Campbell spoke his mind. The part that I wanted to bring forward in this is Campbell is free to speak his mind because he and the provincial Liberals have never felt themselves to be Liberals other than in name only. They are much more comfortable with the Conservatives and feel no compunction to preserve party loyalty with the federal Liberals. Therefore Campbell displayed none of the political "courage" it would take to flout party loyalty because he has none (federally anyway).
T2

No Rigours

Campbell is a feckless leader right now. He is so terrified to have any civil disobedience for the olympics he is becoming a wishy washy blabbermouth. The real crime is that there are no real alternatives to him as the NDP is beyond useless.

I think we should all vote for the marijuana party, as this product brings-in way more revenues than fish farms ever will. Wait a minute - maybe that's what all that fish poop could be used to grow. What do you think, Barbender?

Well who knows. If the revenues are that good in grow ops then I am in. Although with my luck I will get busted and end up being somebody's bunk muffin in prison.

Just remember, Campbell is a LIBERAL. Whenever I shoot trap I always think the clays are Liberals, really helps the score.

quote:I think we should all vote for the marijuana party, as this product brings-in way more revenues than fish farms ever will. Wait a minute - maybe that's what all that fish poop could be used to grow. What do you think, Barbender?

Givin the other two choices, I'm with you. Still I would rather vote NDP than for Campbell. Just like, I would rather eat a wild pink than any farmed fish!!

IMHO Barbender is barking up the wrong tree here, trying to tell fisherman farmed fish is any good. You should be spreading your word across the midwest or somewhere that they really have no clue what the difference is.

Take only what you need.

Id rather eat a farmed salmon than a wild pink. I bet about 90% of you bashing farmed salmon have never tried it. Salmon Farms employ hundreds of British Columbians, they have revitalized struggling communities and are a major revenue producer for BC.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/322/5909/1790b

Take a look see and notice some of the holes in research that has been conducted in recent years.

Im not trying to be confrontational I just hope that if your going to make a statement back it up with some facts.

Merry Christmas All!

Fish_in_fish_on you wrote,
quote:
Take a look see and notice some of the holes in research that has been conducted in recent years.

Im not trying to be confrontational I just hope that if your going to make a statement back it up with some facts.
Good link for sure, but when you ask folks to back up their statements with facts, make sure you ask for all the facts.
Everyone can get the Krkosek et al response to Riddell et al published in the same issue here; http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/322/5909/1790c

Merry Christmas to you!

quote:I bet about 90% of you bashing farmed salmon have never tried it

I saw it served, that was enough, I can also assume $hi+ tastes bad, even though I have never tried that!;)

Take only what you need.

Back