Goldstream harvesters?

lets not forget that both "non first nations" and "first nations" fish the tidal waters of bc for salmon. Small rivers have been damaged enough over the years, if a small river has limited returns everyone should stop fishing. No one has a right to destroy a stock. Not even Jimmy Pattison with his fleet of seiners.

TW:

From such a strong response you seem to be very defensive about the FN harvest at Goldstream and I maybe right in thinking you are FN yourself.

First off I have no complaints about any FN individual or band fishing (or spearfishing for that matter) for food, social and ceremonial purposes as is part of their heritage. I fully understand that FN have a court-proven constitutional right to catch fish for FSC purposes and I am certainly not against that either.

However, DFO is the government agency that are supposed to manage fish harvesting. If DFO aren't managing the stocks properly, they must be pressured to change and do it right. Simply put DFO wrongly estimated the 2009 "harvestable" catch of chinook (as they have in other years too) and as a result the returns to the rivers are just too low in southern BC. As no one can uncatch what has already been caught (Alaska down as you rightly state) when it becomes obvious that there are too few of a certain species returning in to the river, let's ALL make arrangements to avoid the very few returning salmon to get them to spawn and not wipe them out completely.

My finger is clearly pointed at the managers (more like mismanagers) not the harvesters. In my earlier post I stated ...["let's all sit down together to work this out". It's way overdue!]. Again I am not pointing fingers but using this forum to spark dialogue and seek solutions. I want dialogue from all sectors on avoiding this same sad pathetic outcome of too few fish on the spawning grounds. We need to conserve our wild salmon for the future.

So my point is DFO are wrong here not FN, sport or commercial. All the harvesters are only undertaking what they are permitted to do. Name calling and finger pointing are useless. If we all see that there is way too few of a certain salmon population arriving in a river, let's all do what we have to to get them on the spawning grounds. DFO does make forecasting errors but should we all not do something proactive when it becomes obvious an error has been made? Or should we just carry on as normal and say 'oh well when there are no fish left we'll worry about it then'? Let's all start talking to eachother to avoid this same pathetic repeating failure. There are other solutions. DFO have to be held accountable for their actions.

My earlier question was to get forum members to consider how to resolve the chinook river harvest issue when returns are mis-forecast and very low.

FWIW - You should also know that I respect your efforts at the hatchery and your passion to rehabilitate the Tetayut. Anything any of us can do for the sustainability of wild salmon is a just, worthy and laudable cause. I too have a passion for wild salmon, not only do I love to angle for this amazing resource and eat it too, but I personally give hundreds of hours of my own time each year to its betterment. I do that through my volunteer endeavours on the Colquitz Creek, through my volunteer attendance at SFAB process and through my volunteer lobbying efforts regarding improving SEP, Cowichan chinook and Thompson steelhead to name but a few.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Gov

Firstly Yes, I am FN. But realistically at this stage of the game it doesn't really matter of race as we are all screwed once this resource is gone....And i agree with your comments. (I would love to get together with some of you to brainstorm some ideas on how we can fix some of the ongoing issues)

I am in a tough position as the fisheries manager for my band! I understand these FN individuals have an aboriginal right to the resource and when they see these resources being harvested elsewhere up and down the coast then when they have an opportunity to harvest a few in river they are told not to? How would you feel?
But then again I get frustrated when these last few chinook are being harvested when we could use them at the hatchery. I have tried to encourage FN people from my community to let these few chinook spawn and to wait for the chum. Alot of the people are not from my community and alot of them are not even FN's. We have a few Aboriginal fisheries guardians that patrol at night and 90% are not FN's people poaching in river. DFO has no budget for night patrols....as i have asked.
This Year i will be trying to enforce some fisheries bylaws that will restrict times and areas of river that can be fished in order to conserve certain stocks.

TheRock

FN people fish in river because that's where they traditionally fished,Nations as far as Lummi used to gather at Goldstream when the salmon were running. A lot of FN's don't have the resources to fish elsewhere.
Saanich People also traditionally Used Reef nets which were outlawed by the Government which is too bad because it is a very selective fishery. (which i am also trying to bring back) As for the chum fishery they prefer the fish from the river for smoking.

I understand everyone's frustrations........

Hey TwinWinds , could you post places where people can volunteer on the South Island ? thanks.

Thank the creator for other FN members.
We care more than anything bout our rivers.
We gotta work together!!!!!!

Here is a link to Lummi island wild....Modern day reef net that has been adopted as a very sustainable eco-friendly fishery.

PSC commission has adopted it as one of their test fishing sites.

Gives you an idea anyway....A couple of my older uncles still remember fishing with their parents on reef nets throughout the lower gulf islands,San Juan islands/Orcas island areas and point roberts/fraser river.

http://www.lummiislandwild.com/media-gallery.cfm
http://www.lummiislandwild.com/about-reefnetting.cfm

The "No By-catch" is pretty appealing! Though in reality it's likely more like "limited By-catch Mortality" If you had these guys and trollers the only ones allowed out for commercial fishery the numbers would bounce back pretty nicely and the Steelys and such would be relatively un-molested. The cost of Salmon would shoot up though I imagine. Not that I buy it...

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

quote:Originally posted by geo_tonz

The "No By-catch" is pretty appealing! Though in reality it's likely more like "limited By-catch Mortality" If you had these guys and trollers the only ones allowed out for commercial fishery the numbers would bounce back pretty nicely and the Steelys and such would be relatively un-molested. The cost of Salmon would shoot up though I imagine. Not that I buy it...

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Agreed. Let the price go up. Wild salmon are worth it.

www.kayaks2.com