Goldstream harvesters?

islandboy

What are certain individuals allowed to harvest in Goldstream these days. One of my In-laws was outraged at the sight of two "fishermen" [:eek:)][:eek:)] in their twenties wading/thrashing around chasing the spawning salmon with spears.

I suggested she take a video and put it on youtube to show the world the respect this dwindling resource is being shown. [xx(]

www.kayaks2.com

at least they were using spears - I can respect the historic side of it. I saw them a couple years ago there with a big fishing net and a baseball bat - not exactly heritage in that. Didn't like having to explain what was going on to my kids either.

I am surprised it took so long for this thread to start up this year!........lol.
Lets quit pointing fingers and work together to fix the problems!

I am surprised it took so long for this thread to start up this year!........lol.
Lets quit pointing fingers and work together to fix the problems!

The next time, take a video camera and post it to u-tube. The dogfish video seemed to get peoples attention!! Show those acts to the public, they will be disgusted. Especially in a year like this when the public perception is that all salmon are in trouble. It will do a lot to challenge the FN rhetoric that they respect nature and never do harm. The Neah Bay bands whaling attempts a few years back is another example

The next time, take a video camera and post it to u-tube. The dogfish video seemed to get peoples attention!! Show those acts to the public, they will be disgusted. Especially in a year like this when the public perception is that all salmon are in trouble. It will do a lot to challenge the FN rhetoric that they respect nature and never do harm. The Neah Bay bands whaling attempts a few years back is another example

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Big deal....Couple Nates chasing beat up chums in a ditch around[}:)]

Pass the Pack

Roe Bags,do you think this is acceptable in a public park where famlies and kids go to see and learn? Here are two comments I made in last years post..

"Every time I go to Goldstream it just makes my blood boil. I was up there about a month ago when the first runs started coming up.. I'm there with the kids on a Saturday in the middle of the day lots of family's out to come see the fish. Right in the middle of the main park on the stream shore lays evidence of a fish massacre ! Fish guts and egg row sacks were scattered every where, it was disturbing to see. All the kids are gathered around looking at this mess and they can not make any sense of it.. "

"I've seen this before in previous years, their in the middle of the stream chasing fish around their stomping all over the spawning beds ! There killing more eggs and doing more damage than the actual fish they spear... "

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Big deal....Couple Nates chasing beat up chums in a ditch around[}:)]

Pass the Pack

Roe Bags,do you think this is acceptable in a public park where famlies and kids go to see and learn? Here are two comments I made in last years post..

"Every time I go to Goldstream it just makes my blood boil. I was up there about a month ago when the first runs started coming up.. I'm there with the kids on a Saturday in the middle of the day lots of family's out to come see the fish. Right in the middle of the main park on the stream shore lays evidence of a fish massacre ! Fish guts and egg row sacks were scattered every where, it was disturbing to see. All the kids are gathered around looking at this mess and they can not make any sense of it.. "

"I've seen this before in previous years, their in the middle of the stream chasing fish around their stomping all over the spawning beds ! There killing more eggs and doing more damage than the actual fish they spear... "

SORRY I DIDNT TAPE THE CHEK NEWS STORY, but aaprox 3 weeks ago a homeless man made a camp down on the river and was chasing around 3 young natives with a filet knife....maybe he was making a statement but for sure he was arrested and now is getting 3 squares on us.....[V]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

SORRY I DIDNT TAPE THE CHEK NEWS STORY, but aaprox 3 weeks ago a homeless man made a camp down on the river and was chasing around 3 young natives with a filet knife....maybe he was making a statement but for sure he was arrested and now is getting 3 squares on us.....[V]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

So some weeks ago, around about the time of the CHEK TV news story (mentioned in Hootey's post), the Goldstream Hatchery had only taken 4 chinook for brood. In 2008 217 chinook returned but this year the LGS chinook return is terrible. I haven't heard of anymore adult Goldstream chinook being taken for the hatchery by the Goldstream volunteers since, so I presume 4 is still the total. However, I did hear a report around the same time from a hatchery representative that 25 or so adult chinooks were seen (counted) in the lower Goldstream. They never showed up at the fence though as "someone else must have taken them" (was the diplomatic comment used).

Question: ... at what point is the fishery management of chinook to a "conservation concern" level going to kick in to stop "someone" from whacking almost the entire return in the river?

If chinook need to be avoided there are other species and opportunities available to harvest for FSC. Just think about all those volunteer operated conservation projects that will suffer next spring because there are virtually no chinook in the Goldstream Hatchery for enhancement.

SFBC forum member Unknown has been repeating a theme of - let's all sit down together to work this out. IMHO it's way overdue. This year we have seen mismanagement problems reported on the SFBC forum about the Somass, Cowichan and now this system. I am sure there are others.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

So some weeks ago, around about the time of the CHEK TV news story (mentioned in Hootey's post), the Goldstream Hatchery had only taken 4 chinook for brood. In 2008 217 chinook returned but this year the LGS chinook return is terrible. I haven't heard of anymore adult Goldstream chinook being taken for the hatchery by the Goldstream volunteers since, so I presume 4 is still the total. However, I did hear a report around the same time from a hatchery representative that 25 or so adult chinooks were seen (counted) in the lower Goldstream. They never showed up at the fence though as "someone else must have taken them" (was the diplomatic comment used).

Question: ... at what point is the fishery management of chinook to a "conservation concern" level going to kick in to stop "someone" from whacking almost the entire return in the river?

If chinook need to be avoided there are other species and opportunities available to harvest for FSC. Just think about all those volunteer operated conservation projects that will suffer next spring because there are virtually no chinook in the Goldstream Hatchery for enhancement.

SFBC forum member Unknown has been repeating a theme of - let's all sit down together to work this out. IMHO it's way overdue. This year we have seen mismanagement problems reported on the SFBC forum about the Somass, Cowichan and now this system. I am sure there are others.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

If first nations people have to stop fishing in river in order to conserve certain stocks such as Goldstream or Cowichan chinook,Why is it the sports sector and commercial sectors can hammer them from Alaska down? When all user groups stop fishing then first nations people shall do the same. I am tired of all the finger pointing and blaming.....Give it a rest! and use the energy you expend B*&%^ching and complaining towards something positive like volunteering with a hatchery or the many volunteer groups that are out there restoring the Vital fish habitat.

If first nations people have to stop fishing in river in order to conserve certain stocks such as Goldstream or Cowichan chinook,Why is it the sports sector and commercial sectors can hammer them from Alaska down? When all user groups stop fishing then first nations people shall do the same. I am tired of all the finger pointing and blaming.....Give it a rest! and use the energy you expend B*&%^ching and complaining towards something positive like volunteering with a hatchery or the many volunteer groups that are out there restoring the Vital fish habitat.

quote:Originally posted by twinwinds

Twinwind your kinda missing the point...
another post of mine from last year..
"the fish that return to spawn and actually make it back into a spawning river represent less than 1% of their fish stock... let them spawn for the love of god. Why do they want to harvest the 1% of fish that need to spawn for future stocks ?! Why should there be any fishing during reproductive periods in rivers and steams? Let nature do its thing.. leave the fish alone in rivers and streams when its spawning season. Is hunting season open in the spring and summer for game animals and birds ?... ahh no its their reproductive period. ... for fish their reproductive period is now in the Fall.. why would any one want to harvest fish during this reprodcutive period??? Yes I understand Natives have a "right" to fish under laws.. that's a given... I am not arguing that.."

quote:Originally posted by twinwinds

Twinwind your kinda missing the point...
another post of mine from last year..
"the fish that return to spawn and actually make it back into a spawning river represent less than 1% of their fish stock... let them spawn for the love of god. Why do they want to harvest the 1% of fish that need to spawn for future stocks ?! Why should there be any fishing during reproductive periods in rivers and steams? Let nature do its thing.. leave the fish alone in rivers and streams when its spawning season. Is hunting season open in the spring and summer for game animals and birds ?... ahh no its their reproductive period. ... for fish their reproductive period is now in the Fall.. why would any one want to harvest fish during this reprodcutive period??? Yes I understand Natives have a "right" to fish under laws.. that's a given... I am not arguing that.."