Gold River launch

Tailwalker

First time up to Nootka, planning on launching early at Gold River (low tide 0.7 meters at 10:01 on July 23). Saw last years post, wondering how the boat launch is this year, fee?, who is there to collect? parking? Once launched, stay to the right of center??? Thanks for your insights.

You can go right to Moucha Bay ...with lots of parking...camping Restaurant and bar ..fuel...and everthing you need!

The road to the Gold River ramp is paved all the way...but don't get to much speed up as there have been years with some nasty rolls in the road that can get the boat jumping around. There is always someone there at the ramp to collect for launching and parking in a secure lot. You can park beside the road too if you choose. I go for the piece of mind and pay for the secured...haven't had anything stolen off my truck in the secure...can't say that for the side of the road.The ramp is wide enough for simultaneous in and outs if someone running the thing was to get just a bit ambitious and put a float in on the left side. Guess that won't happen.

And another heads up..... If you're backing your trailer down the right side, watch out for the sunk boat right beside the float. Right side in the driver's seat backing in, left side standing at the top of the ramp, looking at it.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

You can go right to Moucha Bay ...with lots of parking...camping Restaurant and bar ..fuel...and everthing you need!

My wife and I took a drive out to Moutcha and I don't think I would tow a very large boat over that road. If you do, make damn sure your trailer brakes are 100%. You'll go down a 15% grade, quickly followed by an 18% grade.

And another heads up..... If you're backing your trailer down the right side, watch out for the sunk boat right beside the float. Right side in the driver's seat backing in, left side standing at the top of the ramp, looking at it.

Is the sunken boat visible from shore? I'll have someone watching as I back up. Thank you all!

You can launch there on a 3 foot tide. I wouldn't go much lower. Stick to middle off the ramp then start thinking about moving towards the sea plane base side once you get down river a bit. Its better than launching at Port Renfrew if you know that fiasco. The FN folks who run the ramp and parking sit in a trailer on the top of the ramp. They will be there. Very nice friendly folks. I suggest parking in the compound as its important these people make a decent income so they can keep the ramp/parking maintained for us to use for years to come.

t from my iPad when I should be fishing.
Just got back from Nootka and lauched at Gold River. The sunken boat is gone and you can launch from either side if the tide is high. The folks running the launch are nice and friendly. $10 for launch and $8/day for parking in secured lot.

Just thought i'd mention if you wanted longterm parking I parked my 30 footer there for a month. the lady asked for 80 and i gave her 100.00 mentioning i might be a couple days longer than the 1 month... but i won't be. she said it was fine...

Good folks. Always very friendly and in my experience honest. Just wish they'd manage the launching and loading process a bit better. They need to have someone at the ramp telling who should go where when. Would also be nice if they added 50 plus feet of dock so you can stage a bit better.

Careful you don't park too close to trucks from Washington, one of them left Rapid a nice dent in the side of his new Dodge and were thoughtful enough not to leave him a note...it was like riding with Yosemite Sam back to the other side of the island...

I recently towed my 6000 lb boat and 2400 lb camper to moutcha bay. h v was right your brakes must be 100%. three large hills to deal with.i will do it again next year ,it took 1hr 20 minutes from gold river turn off. don't rush it .

Its hard not to park next to a WN vehicle in GR. Half the lot is full of them. I'm sure they are not the only people who have hit someone and not left a note.

I posted this on the Nootka fishing reports but thought this thread may get more action:
"With Critter Cove closed for the season, what other choices are there for moorage and/or accommodations for fishing Nootka Sound and offshore this weekend? Is there anything in Gold River? Nootka Sound Resort is closed and only Moucha Bay is open but its an extra 13 km ride inland. Tahsis is a long steam from Gold River and sounds like the road there is a little rough. Any thoughts or local knowledge would be appreciated. We are in a 27' boat and can sleep aboard but would prefer power and a protected dock - Moucha Bay will work for that, I guess. Would really prefer a lodge if there are any closer to the fishing grounds?"

Doing a first time trip to nootka via gold river boat launch (i'm hoping), have there been any changes to the boat launch or still same as above? Thanks!

Doing a first time trip to nootka via gold river boat launch (i'm hoping), have there been any changes to the boat launch or still same as above? Thanks!

I read in Nootka Sound fishing reports that there has been no changes from last yr..
p.s. this thread is 1.5yrs old

No idea what size of boat you are launching but it's not all bad. Try and plan on being there on higher tide if you have a larger boat. The launch ends at one point, and if you drive your rear tire over the edge good luck getting your boat out and you'll be stuck for a bit. More than anything just relax and chat up the other fishermen. The whole experience is much better if you are patient and make a few new friends at the dock. Oh and if you get there on a low tide, watch the rocks by the plane dock. Trust me on this one.

Back