Gluing Starboard to transom

Now i don’t want to throw a wrinkle in this discussion, but i’m going to anyway. i was told that the crack between the boat and the piece of starboard will have to be perfect or it will create bubbles or other disturbances that can throw off the transducer. i guess you could fill it using the same5200 you used to bond it to the boat?

Different issue.
You are talking about fairing the bottom of the starboard to the hull. That can be done after with utility grade bodge.

you need a dovetail router bit. Cut a few dovetails into the starboard, slather with some 3m 4200 or 5200..... put on back of boat. Done deal. Bottom paint wont stick to it and neither will bottom growth... easy

I just used this a couple of days ago. Pencil in the template on your boat, rough up the surface.....boom, you’re done. I have one both port and starboard of my boat. The other one has been rock solid for 5 years.

IMG_20200423_162101.jpg

For my new Silver Streak I wanted a "stern saver" to attach a 2nd transducer. I couldn't get one in time (well I didn't want to wait) so I ended up using a left over piece of plastic trim/floor molding that I had a part from my son's play house project. I also bought some JB weld and then stuck it onto the aluminum hull next to my wielded transducer bracket as the transducers were going tobe side by side. I fixed it in place with tape and propped a stick. Overnight it cured and has been on my boat for months with no problems. Pulled the boat a few weeks ago to check it and it is still holding fast. You could probably get the parts (JB wield marine) and a small off cut of plastic trim/molding for less then $15 bucks

So I glued Star Board to my transom and it turned out fantastic!

Rock Solid!

I used Thickened GFlex Epoxy

Step 1 - cut a piece of 1" Starboard to size and angle of the transom
Step 2 - Drill holes the back size and tab the holes (I Used 1/2" tap and drilled about 8 holes)
Step 3 - Sand the transom and Starboard with 80 Grit Sandpaper
Step 4 - Wipe all surfaces with alcohol wipes
Step 5 - Flame treat the StarBoard with torch
Step 6 - Mix the epoxy and fill all the holes
Step 7 - Stick Starboard to Transom and apply pressure for 24 hours (I clamped it using some wood blocks)

I will never drill holes in the transom again!

You won't be removing the trim tabs but you may change the transducer so no need to epoxy the trim tabs.

Back