Gibbs/Stewart Spoon #8 - Wanted

Holiday

Hi There,

I know it is possible to buy The Stewart Spoon #8 still, however I'm interested in the Gibbs Stewart #8. Most of these older spoons have likely found their way to the bottom of your tackle box or storage area. If you have one or some, please let me know, as I would love to purchase any you are willing to part with. They can be rusty or whatever shape. Although the the spoon size is #8, the actual spoon is 6" long. The spoons will be rowed in the Tyee Pool. Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• spoon1.jpg
    spoon1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 528
  • spoon2.jpg
    spoon2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 528
  • spoon3.jpg
    spoon3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 525
Thanks Discus,
As I mentioned in PM, I'll take the #8 Spoon in the top photo far right. See you this afternoon.

Four of these spoons have produced for me and I've yet to try the copper coloured #7 on the left, although I do have a specific time and place I plan to use it..

I've also got The Stewart that took a 45 two years ago.

Amazing how terrible they look in the pictures.

I'm hoping to pick up a couple tins of polish this weekend from a pal who has a supply of the old compound stuff which is supposed to be superior to the newer product.

Might be just a myth for all I know however. LOL

Take care.

What are these spoons selling for now? Or should I ask how much are people willing to pay for them?

How fast do you troll them?
I have a box of these (sedimental) would love to make the old guy that gave them to me proud!

id say 2.5 - 3mph depends on conditions, Ive had lots of luck off Epsom,Sangster, and Texada even off the Red Cabin with those spoons. And if your ever not sure just start trolling drop the spoon and drag it along side the boat and watch the action.

Hi Dave,
I'm guessing those aren't for sale? haha, I tried to send you a PM but you're inbox is full. Let me know when there's some room in there.
Mike

I'm more curious of if they produce.

Every now and then they do.

I'll most likely never row a 45 again so I'm tooting this one forever. LOL

Take care.

Hi Holiday Mike,

Nope, not for sale I'm afraid.

In fact whatever survives me will be going to one of my heirs.

Try a PM now as I've deleted a few messages so should have room now.

Take care.

id say 2.5 - 3mph depends on conditions, Ive had lots of luck off Epsom,Sangster, and Texada even off the Red Cabin with those spoons. And if your ever not sure just start trolling drop the spoon and drag it along side the boat and watch the action.

Excellent ! I'm in sooke. Going to give them a whirl!

I follow an Alaskan commercial trolling forum and from what I can tel most of the fleet seems to still use the brass, copper, nickel, silver plated spoons.

I wonder how they perform against the glow / UV painted options that the sport fleet uses. One thing I can say for sure is these bright metal spoons are a lot more work to make. I own a metal fabrication business and we do a fair amount of plated furniture bases.

The metal prep involved for plating and the actual plating is a lot more involved and costly than spraying a piece of metal in a booth.

Back