Getting up on plane

Bonker43

Hi Guys,

I have a 2007 Trophy with a 115 HP Mercury 4 stroke and have trouble getting up on plane whenever I have a lot of weight in the boat such as a full gas tank, 2 or 3 adults, and a couple of large coolers full of ice. Is this a prop issue, would trim tabs help, or is the boat just under powered? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I just fixed my similar problem with a change of prop... How is your rpm? Sounds like the boat may be a lil underpowered as mine is with full load.. Step down in pitch and lose some top end but gain push ..

Thanks 2625 kingfisher, gives me a good reason to ditch the yard work this weekend and go prop shopping.

Yes it's 18'.

Trim tabs will help but are more designed to balance the load.
I'll bet a pitch adjustment in your prop will be the answer.
tell the dealer what you are doing and they may let you take 2 or 3 different props
so you can test for best application.

What is the rolling weight of the boat (minus the trailer of course) using highway truck scales?
What prop are you currently using?
What rev's are you gettting with your current prop?
What speed are you getting with your current prop?
Where do you have most of the additional weight located?
- As for the coolers, have you tried sliding them up between the seats as far as possible (even stacking them if safe)?

Another idea could be to look up similar boats with similar motors/props on this Yamaha site:
http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

F D

on my 1802 I put on trim tabs best money I ever spent. do it won't regret it. I had the same problem as you they put the fuel tank in the stern to far. now no problem

Be sure and test a 4 blade prop. stays on plane at lower speeds and quicker to plane

Be sure and test a 4 blade prop. stays on plane at lower speeds and quicker to plane

,, not necessarily ... i needed a 3 blade because the four blade had too much drag or surface area..now i get faster plane, better rpm range, and way more push, mileage difference seems very little.. he was posting about being loaded.. the boat that is.

on my 1802 I put on trim tabs best money I ever spent. do it won't regret it. I had the same problem as you they put the fuel tank in the stern to far. now no problem
Agree. The best single investment that I've made for my Hourston.
Dave

What kind of tabs would you recommend. I looked into it a bit and came across ones made by Bennet which are Hydraulic and another called Smart Tabs by
Nauticus which are automatic and do not require operator adjustment. Any suggestions.

I put 12" Bennets on my 24ft... I like to beable to control the tabs myself.. plus they have been around for ever..
on a side note to down pitching your prop... I was looking at going from a 17degree to a 15degree for the torque.. is $200 bucks to much money for a lightly used yamaha prop (painted aluminum)... 3 blade ?? thanks..

Hey Brad,

I got a new alum prop for my 75 yammy painted aluminum for 130. I dont know if they are more expensive the bigger the motor. But thats what i paid brand new in the box.

Roger that... I thought it was expensive, thats why I asked... it is a big prop...for the 200hp larger gear... but it is used...

thanks Lorne

A friend had the same problem. He messed around with props forever....turned out he was running too rich. I think his fuel sensor was out. When he got that fixed, we got on plane no problem.

A friend had the same problem. He messed around with props forever....turned out he was running too rich. I think his fuel sensor was out. When he got that fixed, we got on plane no problem

that's not his problem here is a flaw in trophy's go with the bennet's , that way you can adjust side to side as well with different people in the boat if you want to look at mine and are in ladner give me a call

I run bennets that are controlled by a small joystick on the dash. One can actually steer the boat with that joystick when running on plane.No way I would use those auto ones. Friend had those and they screwwed up and he had a hard time getting home with one up and the other one down. Hard as hell to keep boat going straight and was leaning way over to one side.

Back