Georgia Straight Krill Fishery

Nimo

Many years ago I read about the millions of tonne of Krill trawled from the Straight every year. I was trying to research this subject but not coming up with much. Does anyone have any links or info on the BC krill fishery.

Is it still ongoing and, if so, what would be the purpose of taking this feed from the marine ecosystem that our native species relies on?

quote:Originally posted by NimoIs it still ongoing and, if so, what would be the purpose of taking this feed from the marine ecosystem that our native species relies on?

Haven't seen anyone doing it of late but I have seem some Krill in/around English Bay the past few years.

The purpose if we can call it that is what's called Fishing Down the Food Chain</u>

As larger fish become scarce people concentrate their efforts on smaller less appealing (in a commercial sense) fish or feed, a base product from which to manufacture seafood products, or food for fish farms if you can believe it.[V]

And it never ends until every single thing that can be dragged up is gone and the sea is as clear as glass.

I've seen the result of this in South America, Shrimp draggers using finer and finer nets until they are out of business and the ships move on or are left to rot.

http://www.fisheries.ubc.ca/members/dpauly/journalArticles/1998/FishingDownMarineFoodWebs.pdf

Back