Gas woes...ways to save gas.

O

OneWay

TOP TEN TIPS FROM BOATU.S. FOR GETTING THE MOST FROM A TANK OF GAS

ALEXANDRIA, VA, June 9, 2008 -- With boaters facing record high fuel prices this summer Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatU.S.) has a few tips that could help stretch their fuel dollars:

1. Leave the extra 'junk' home: Don't load the boat up with weight you don't need. Do a little spring cleaning - unused equipment that has been collecting mildew in the bottom of lockers for years should be taken home.

2. Water weight: At 8.33 pounds per gallon, why keep the water in the tank topped off if you're only going out for the afternoon?

3. Tune her up: An engine tune-up is an excellent investment and should easily pay for itself over the summer.

4. Tune your prop: If your boat goes 30 mph with a like-new prop and only 27 mph with a prop that's dinged and out of pitch, that's a 10% loss in fuel economy, or, you're wasting one out of every ten gallons you put in your tank.

5. Paint the boat's bottom: When boating in salt or brackish waters a fouled bottom is like a dull knife. It takes a lot more fuel to push your boat through the water.

6. Keep the boat in trim: Using trim tabs or distributing weight evenly will help move your boat through the water with less effort - and less fuel.

7. Go with the flow: Consult tide tables and try to travel with the tide whenever possible.

8. Install a fuel flow meter: A fuel flow meter is like a heart monitor; when consumption starts to rise, it's an early warning that something is amiss. A fuel flow meter also allows you to select a comfortable cruising speed that optimizes the amount of fuel being consumed.

9. Do the math: If you don't want to spring for a fuel flow meter (about $300), you can calculate your fuel mileage by dividing distance traveled by gallons at fill-up. Using your logbook, you can then approximate fuel flow using average speeds and time underway.

10. Get a discount: Many of the 885 BoatU.S. Cooperating Marinas around the country offer up to 10 cents off a gallon of gas. To get the discount all you have to do is to show your BoatU.S. membership card. If you aren't already a member, join online now for a special rate of $19.00 by going to BoatUS.com/membership or call 800-395-2628.

quote:Originally posted by OneWay
7.Go with the flow: Consult tide tables and try to travel with the tide whenever possible.
Easier said than done but punching through a large tide does burn a lotta fuel as I once found out in Queen Charlotte Strait [:I] :(

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

8. Install a fuel flow meter: A fuel flow meter is like a heart monitor; when consumption starts to rise, it's an early warning that something is amiss. A fuel flow meter also allows you to select a comfortable cruising speed that optimizes the amount of fuel being consumed.

I took this one step further a few years ago. I installed a not-so-expensive flowmeter (Navman 2100) and ran the engine at a wide range of RPM, starting at the minimum RPM the boat planes, and all the way up to WOT; then I wrote the fuel consumption (in liters per hour), the speed from the GPS, and the RPM from the tachometer, and further plotted the results in a chart. This helped me not only to determine the RPM range that gave me the best fuel consumption per nautical mile, but also to compare the curves obtained with different propellers so that I could determine which prop gave me the best fuel economy. There are more expensive flow meters in the market that can be attached to the GPS and can determine the fuel consumption per mile automatically, but the above worked for me. I found it was a worthwile exercise. In fact, once you determine which propeller works best for you, you only need to run the test once to determine at which RPM range your boat will burn the least fuel from point A to point B.

I hope this info will help some of you to lower your fuel bill.

TOP TEN TIPS FROM BOATU.S. FOR GETTING THE MOST FROM A TANK OF GAS
10. Get a discount: Many of the 885 BoatU.S. Cooperating Marinas around the country offer up to 10 cents off a gallon of gas. To get the discount all you have to do is to show your BoatU.S. membership card. If you aren't already a member, join online now for a special rate of $19.00 by going to BoatUS.com/membership or call 800-395-2628.

Too bad we don't have this option up here in Canuck Tax Land eh?

boat-1-1.jpg

Back