Gas Tank Leaking

TGofers

Looks like my tank is leaking. I fill it up and lose 1/4. Obviously not safe to be boating around! The tank is not accessible to remove without having to remove the motor first (INBOARD). The motor sits in front of the tank and as well as a few other things. So in order to find the leak and fix properly (welding) I would have to remove the motor pull the tank, purge the tank with water, find the leak and fix. Trying to avoid all the above steps if possible cause I have no way to pull my motor out and if I did it would be my first time. Anyone ever heard of any products that you can add to the fuel that stop the leaks?

We were going to take the boat out today but figuring not safe to do so.

Sorry to rain all over you, if it is the tank, doesent look like you have any other choice but to yank the lump and the fuel tank and have a rad shop assess it, never heard of a additive for gas leaks, just radiators. most fuel tanks that are metal usually rust out from the inside out over time, in the automotive world the rad shop can reseal the tank with a coating on the inside of the tank. First thing I would do is to find the leak and take it from there..... hope its not the tank, just a hose, good luck

Please Do Not use the boat until gas leak is fixed and bilge cleaned out including any foam that may have soaked up
gas. Nothing worse then a boat on fire out on the water.

Good luck with repairs.

Word of advice fix properly and don't cut any corners on this fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of working on boats, Ive seen more leaks from fuel lines, primer bulbs and filter connections… run thru all the lines, check for cracks at connections. Check the filter and the housing where they connect. The housings rust out and leak gas between filter and rubber seal. If all else fails, cutting the floor out may be a easier option, fiberglass repairs are easy and maintain strength.

Lots of working on boats, Ive seen more leaks from fuel lines, primer bulbs and filter connections… run thru all the lines, check for cracks at connections. Check the filter and the housing where they connect. The housings rust out and leak gas between filter and rubber seal. If all else fails, cutting the floor out may be a easier option, fiberglass repairs are easy and maintain strength.

Thought maybe lines but stops at 3/4 then no more leaking so figure tank but I will check all lines

thought maybe lines but stops at 3/4 then no more leaking so figure tank but i will check all lines

there is a crack in the tank around the 3/4 mark, where, is the question, you have to go searching to find it,
try using a fuel dye, it will make the crack stand out. If you have a borescope camera you can look inside the tank and see where the crack is.

Yep agreed. Gonna try to cut er out. If not then gonna have to pull. If I have room might try bigger. What are some decent places to start looking. I am a travelling sales rep in bc so any area works.newer used one preferred but would go brand new.

why do you need to take engine out? .. usually and most time you dont need to?? post a pic so we sort of know what your talking about.

kinda weird at 3/4 full it leaks too as most time they corrode its in corners or on bottom of tanks??
ive taken out a few tanks really not that hard once you break the seal a bit of cutting etc .

I personally wouldn't NOT use it till its fixed leaking gas in any kind of boat is not good last thing we want is someone getting hurt...

good luck Wolf

If you decide to go new you could get custom made. Pretty sure sculpin on the forum has made some custom fuel tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my guess, fuel sending unit gasket... happened on my old boat , would only show up with more than 3/4 of a tank , when i hit the throttle hard causing pressure on it.

Replaced mine this winter. It only leaked when over 3/4 full. Started by changing hoses and revealing the sending unit but no luck. Cut the floor out and found the top of the tank exposed to air, thus salt air. It had six small holes from corrosion on the top, sides and bottom were mint. Boat is 95' and it was original, had my bro build me a new one and sealed her up and glassed her back over. How old is your boat?

Replaced mine this winter. It only leaked when over 3/4 full. Started by changing hoses and revealing the sending unit but no luck. Cut the floor out and found the top of the tank exposed to air, thus salt air. It had six small holes from corrosion on the top, sides and bottom were mint. Boat is 95' and it was original, had my bro build me a new one and sealed her up and glassed her back over. How old is your boat?

Boat is 84. Thought might be sending unit gasket but it's leaking to 3/4 full while parked.

Back