Gas Prices are not so bad.....

Marked gas @ Cliffe Ave Husky $1.25/L on the pump. Made me smile Monday when it didn't cost me $300 to fill.

And at the risk of taking a beating again;) C.L. and Mrtrailer both made my point. What's better than a day fishing, regardless of the outcome and the price. My therapist costs me $125/hr. #&%$ that, I'm going fishing.

When I was in Bamfield the pump there ran out of Gas. I'm thinking the owners are going to retire soon cause there selling it at $1.85/l and must be rakeing it in. So I went out and bought 5 brand new jerry cans for $10/each. They paid for themselves already ;)

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

When I was in Bamfield the pump there ran out of Gas. I'm thinking the owners are going to retire soon cause there selling it at $1.85/l and must be rakeing it in. So I went out and bought 5 brand new jerry cans for $10/each. They paid for themselves already ;)
don't you mean $1.85/gallon? If not then I should be able to gets lots of $$ for my slightly used 'Vote for Hilary Clinton' t-shirts.
sorry,couldn't resist.

Some more info on WHY prices have not come down....

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...ine_prices_080905/20080905?hub=Canada&s_name=

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

My old mans Vodka is over 200 bucks a gallon, so complaining about gas seems trivial.

quote:Originally posted by gallows

Where I live (Comox) all the gas stations charge exactly the same high price. If there is a price change, they all change the price at the same time on the same day by exactly the same amount. I thought that price fixing cartels were illegal in Canada but it's probably my imagination or coincidence because that sort of thing couldn't happen, could it? :D

Actually, it's because on the Island Trimac delivers all of the fuel to a certain town on a certain day. On the mainland, and especially back east, there is some variation from station to station. HOwever, what the station owner makes from fuel is really a pittance anyway. And there has not been any signifigant price fixing found, despite the millions of dollars spent by our government to find it. In fact, the only two stations I see playing with price are:

Tillicum and Craigflower:

The Esso across from the Petro Can drops it's price by two cents in the later half of the day to attract traffic on the way home to fill up.

The Esso at CanWest Mall drops it's price by 3.5c a litre to compete wtih SuperStore and their 3.5C coupoons that they give out when you fill there.

If there was any real margin in Gasoline, Wal-Mart would have a station selling it as a loss-leader to get people in the door.

I see a lot of people slagging station owners, but seeing as taxes make up the the second largest share of fuel markup after crude costs, why not slag our lovely government who puts things like carbon taxes on fuel?

Want one example? The carbon tax, our newest addition to the governments piece of the pie. It is supposed to be revenue neutral, which means that they tax it to "reduce" consumption, then divvy it up and sent it out to everyone! So, in the spirit of Carl Marx, they take hundreds of dollars from me as I buy my fuel to run my economically viable and successful busines, and then send out nice little cheques to everyone, including bums who don't drive and consider hanging out at Starbucks a vocation.

We wont' see fuel prices correct for a month or two yet, as the $147/bbl contracts sold in July are now just being filled, the oil price you see on Nymex are futures contracts, that is, what we pay for a barrel of oil a month or two down the road.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

However you look at it we are being gouged. Oil companies are making record, huge obscene profits. Canada is self sufficient in oil and the price of a barrel of crude is falling, but today gas prices have just gone up again on the strength of a hurricane in the US. Why does that affect the price of the gas that is already in the tanks at the local gas stations? The hurricane hasn't even hit the refineries yet!! Please don't tell me we're not being ripped off.

Back