Gag order silences Nanaimo scientist New research helps explain why salmon stocks a

Thanks Charlie
Do you subscribe to Science Weekly?
Couldn't pull this up myself.

Too bad it's been many, many, years since I did Biology and Stats at SFU (both were and still are mysteries to me), but the gist I get is that some sockeye are genetically predisposed to be subsceptible to viral infection, either the 'lukemia' or the 'Salmon Aids', whichever name you choose, and the fear is that the fish farms may be contributing to the transference to the wild population (as youngsters) of the infection.
If that is the case, then it's either good-bye salmon farms or good bye to the portion of the sockeye population that is genetically subsceptible.
The problem may not be the sea lice, but the virus.
More research is called for in the paper, and I agree. Too late to boot out the farms without valid, provable, scientific support that even the slugs in government cannot ignore.
They have the power, we are only ranters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Charlie
Do you subscribe to Science Weekly?
Couldn't pull this up myself.

Too bad it's been many, many, years since I did Biology and Stats at SFU (both were and still are mysteries to me), but the gist I get is that some sockeye are genetically predisposed to be subsceptible to viral infection, either the 'lukemia' or the 'Salmon Aids', whichever name you choose, and the fear is that the fish farms may be contributing to the transference to the wild population (as youngsters) of the infection.
If that is the case, then it's either good-bye salmon farms or good bye to the portion of the sockeye population that is genetically subsceptible.
The problem may not be the sea lice, but the virus.
More research is called for in the paper, and I agree. Too late to boot out the farms without valid, provable, scientific support.
Of course, my reading may be erronous.
Oh, I think you are reading it fairly correct. Except, don't miss the, " several of these Canadian stocks are at risk of extinction" and that isn't from Alex Morton... THAT IS FROM A DFO STUDY!

Please, please, please, don't forget those "fish farm sea lice" are well known to carry and transmit a virus along with all their other diseases - to the "wild"! This is not only to your young Sockeye, but every other salmon that goes by them! Can you use the terms Chinook, Coho, Pink, Chum and every ofther species of fish there? Please - re-read... as the way I am reading it, Can you say, "good-bye" not only to your Sockeye, but probably YOUR ENTIRE fishery, especially Sockeye, Chinook, and Coho also?

Also, the way I am reading it, it sounds those "fish farm sea lice" are transmitting that virus (along with all the other diseases) to the young salmon as they go out to sea! Kind of explains why those 2007 out migrating Sockeye dissapeared just north of all those fish farms. AND... if those "fish farm sea lice" don't get them going out to sea, Dr Kristi Miller has pretty much just proven they are also transmitting that virus to the adult Sockeye as they are coming back.

I would love to read the whole report, which that still appears to be under wraps! However, according to what has been released, it has been identified as a virus... but they have not identified the particular virus and that has now been well over a year. Is it ISA... who cares! DFO has now provided a study that states, you have a virus being transmitted to your wild salmon! A virus will mutate!

You guys REALLY want to do something to save "wild" salmon? You really need organize and show up at that Cohen commission "IN MASS" to hear one each Dr. Kristi Miller's testimony!

Get those damn open "net pens" out of your waters!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for finding the article Charlie. Very interesting piece of research. I get a similar read to Time, that the some of fish approaching the coast have a genetic code which is predisposing them to poor survival at sea. It was related to a break down in Osomoregulation which it is hypothesized that the fish couldnt stay at sea and so were forced to enter freshwater that was suboptimal.

It would be beneficial if she could use dna to type the virus, as there are a lot of viruses out there, not just ISAv. Sockeye do typically become infected and carry IHNv. So common is this infection in Sockeye, that IHNv is typically known as "Sockeye Disease". It is tyically most lethal at the fry stage. So until the virus is typed, saying it is ISAv is only speculation, and part of the reason I suspect for DFO's concern.

I think they shouldn't have published anything until they had the whole story with the virus identified.

If ISAv is in BC, it will more than likely show up in the fish farms first. Mass mortality on a scale that has been seen in farms affected with ISAv in other areas would be very hard to cover up. On the bright side, this virus seems to prefer farmed atlantics over even wild atlantics, and doesn't like pacifics. While a lot of fish in cages succumbed during the outbreak of ISA in NB, there were no recorded ISA deaths in the wild atlantics.

Not sure anyone is even saying or suggesting it is ISAV?? Could be a mutated strain of that, but I know I am not or ever would go down that road without some type of proof.

If, I really had to quess? I would more actually "guess" it was a mutated strain of Viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus (VHSV)?? And... that is completely a guess!! Fish farms in Zones 2-3 are already reporting outbreaks of the "Viral Haemorrhagic Septicemia Virus Infection"
http://www.al.gov.bc.ca/ahc/fish_health/bcsfa_reports.htm

That virus has also already been known to mutate, infecting different stocks of fish, while leaving others alone. In both fresh and salt water. Just Google it and Michigan. It has also been known to be transferred from wild to farm and farm to wild.

And... is there any reason to keep that quiet? Let's see, how about these for starters: Known to be very lethal! Currently and has already been reported by fish farms, can be transmitted back and forth from wild to farm - both out migrating smolts and migrating spawners are subject to it. Can be transmitted by just about any means, including those millions and millions of sea lice on all those farmed salmon that those sockeye have to migrate through. Yea, you bet there would be a reason to keep that one quiet! But... that's just a guess!

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/viral_hemorrhagic_septicemia.pdf

Thanks for posting the paper, Charlie.

Hmm... Fraser River sockeye returns collapse fall 2009. Order in Council for Cohen Commission issued Nov. 5, 2009 (http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/About.php). Email from Miller on Nov. 4, 2009 entered as Exhibit #628 at the Commission on March 17, 2011 (http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Schedule/) indicating DFO Science boss, Laura Richards, does not want Miller to attend external meetings to discuss sockeye disease issues due to worries that DFO will not be able to control the way the press would construe the issue.

Miller et al paper submitted to Science August 24, 2010. Accepted for publication, Dec. 1, 2010.

I have to ask again, if DFO/PCO didn't want the press asking questions, why did they allow Miller to publish?

You guys are welcome!

So much for my "guess"! Looks like they already have a good idea that it is "Salmon Leukemia Virus (SL V)" also called Plasmacytoid leukemia.

Although retroviruses have been observed in many fish species, only two are believed to affect salmon: the Atlantic salmon swim bladder virus, a fully characterized and sequenced virus isolated from tumours in the swim bladders of farmed salmon both in Europe and Maine, and the Salmon Leukemia Virus (SL V), postulated in the early 1990' s to be the cause of Marine Salmon Anemia, also called Plasmacytoid leukemia, in BC and Washington farmed Chinook salmon. The original research on the latter virus was conducted by the Fish Health group at the Pacific Biological Station (led at the time by Mike Kent), but unfortunately they did not isolate the virus nor obtain DNA sequence from it. They did, however, show that the virus was highly infective to Chinook and sockeye salmon, and less so in coho and Atlantic salmon. We have already conducted molecular screening and ruled out common viruses afflicting Pacific salmon, including ISAV, IHNV, VHSV, Herpes, and IPNV. We also screened for bacterial pathogens and myxosporidian parasites, which did not yield any links to the disease profiles uncovered. The table below lists the accumulating evidence that suggests the disease afflicting our sockeye salmon is retroviral in nature and could be plasmacytoid leukemia.

#635 BN re Funding Requested for Research on Links btw Plasmacytoid Leukemia and Shifts in Migration Timing and High Mortality of FRSS, Nov 13 2008 - CAN036194
http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Schedule/

The latest from Munro on the Miller debacle and Ashfield's response to criticism of his Department;
http://politics.canada.com/2011/07/feds-mark-scientist-muzzling-saga/

"Transparently stupid" is being polite, IMHO.
X2 :rolleyes:

It doesn't apprear good ole Dr. Laura Rcihards had a very good day? She just flat-out got busted for "lying" in a letter to Alex Morton! I highly suggest reading those exhibits.

Salmon Leaks Part 6: A thorough cross-examination of DFO’s Regional Director of Science—Dr. Laura Richards
http://www.watershed-watch.org/2011/04/salmon-leaks-part-6/

I sure am starting to believe that virus found is a bigger problem than most are thinking? Hence the "gag order"! It appears DFO has been setting on that since 2003. It also appears it can be transmitted ALL the differemt ways? From fish to fish and in the river and ocean. It also appears DFO has tested the possibility of it being carried and transmitted to the wild by none other than "farmed Atlantic salmon"? Big question there... Can you say DFO, damage control, and fish farms all in that same sentence? I highly suggest showing up for the Dr. Kristi Miller day - that could get interesting!

"You guys REALLY want to do something to save "wild" salmon? You really need organize and show up at that Cohen commission "IN MASS" to hear one each Dr. Kristi Miller's testimony!

Get those damn open "net pens" out of your waters!"
What we have needed all along Charlie was - a way to get millions of Americans to STOP EATING FARMED SALMON!

Your best opportunity will only come once you deny DFO access to manage BC wild salmon. All sectors rely on wild BC salmon stocks in order to survive and maintain a well provided level of abundance and to continue to maintain stocks well into our future. DFO is the start & cause of the failure within substantial abundance of our salmon stocks. British Columbia owns the inland waters and the true birth place of our salmon...BC must be the King and manager of our fisheries, not OTTAWA! The Indians of BC found the writing within the law, so can the people of British Columbia, Canada.

Absobloodylutely! We need to be on our politicos to tell DFO to take a hike. BC NEEDS to manage our own resources, including ALL fish stocks.

What we have needed all along Charlie was - a way to get millions of Americans to STOP EATING FARMED SALMON!

That one is easy... however, seems to be easier said than done. Once a salmon has been exposed to any drug not authorized by the FDA, "SLICE" - it is illigal to be imported into the U.S. FDA has already written letters and advised the different countries of this. All you have to do is just get the government of Canada to quit importing those "illegal" salmon into the U.S.! Good luck on that one! :)

FYI, those illegal salmon are back on the shelf at both COSTCO and Safeway! I have already written my letters - have you? I could use a little help on that one!

Well guys and gals I'm positively convinced now that Alex and her group are our only real and best hope to get these diease spreading Norwegian fish farms out of our waters.
We all know from experience now that letters petitions e-mails and phone calls fall on the deaf ears of our elected federal politicians. The only real chance we will have is in the courts where we have a very real oppurtunity to prove how negligent the federal government and its departmental of fisheries and oceans has been in their mandate to protect and enhance our irreplacable wild Salmon resources.
Although I have made several lump sum donations in the past I have decided to make regular donations on a monthly basis according to my financial situation and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

http://salmonaresacred.org/

where do we send said letters Charlie?..costco and safeway?....holmes*

Yes... along with every agency and company listed in the following GOA report!

Maybe I should have included and stated, as of April 2011 - We ARE working on that! It may just be a matter of time FDA will be forced to hold Canada (even being are largest trade partner) and other countries accountable under the current MOU and HCACCP regulations. It certainly appesrs - it is coming! J

SEAFOOD SAFETY
FDA Needs to Improve Oversight of Imported Seafood and Better Leverage Limited Resources
April 2011

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-286
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11286.pdf

Yes... along with every agency and company listed in the following GOA report!

Maybe I should have included and stated, as of April 2011 - We ARE working on that! It may just be a matter of time FDA will be forced to hold Canada (even being are largest trade partner) and other countries accountable under the current MOU and HCACCP regulations. It certainly appesrs - it is coming! J

SEAFOOD SAFETY
FDA Needs to Improve Oversight of Imported Seafood and Better Leverage Limited Resources
April 2011

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-286
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11286.pdf

Charlie,

If U.S. Government bureaucracy is anything like here in Canada, the GAO report will land on other agency desks and will be "studied". These study reports will in turn lead to more recommendations which will be "studied" but nothing will ever actually happen. The only way forward is to support real grass roots organisations like Alexandra Morton's or even the David Suzuki Foundation (which, whatever you might think of environmental organisations, has a very strong anti fish farm stance). The message has to get to millions of consumers, and other than coming up with millions of advertising dollars, I know no other way of doing it.

Well said Miller and good on you.

When we finally (thanks to people like Alex) get the Norwegians out of our waterways - and the crooked politicians that supported them out of office - they will simply ramp-up the Chilean operations once they recover from the ISA virus that has devastated their operations in the last couple of years.

This should be cause for even greater concern for the FDA and all Canucks & Yanks who eat the stuff.

If you are concerned at all about eating fish that are systemically treated with 'Slice' (Emmamectin Benzoate: http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/EM/emamectin_benzoate.html ) think about this: in a major report/publication in the last year or two it was disclosed that the Chilean industry was "...virtually unregulated." and routinely used over 300% more chemicals/drugs on their livestock than was permitted in Canada's industry.

"M-m-m-m-m-m-m, yummy-mummy! Pass me some more 'Kryptonite Salmon' please!

Not the first time.

Not the first time that Ottawa has taped a rag in the mouth of researchers when their work discovers an unfortunate truth which does not support the governments political objectives.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...g-of-research-a-case-of-dj-vu/article1959051/

The comparatively small profit (for NORWAY) and the few low paying BC jobs the corporate fish feedlot industry generates does not justify the risk to the wild salmon, B.C.'s economic well being and the way of life on the west coast. Lets close down these fish feed lots now and like Alaska declare BC a fish farm free zone before it is too late.

Back