Gaffs & Bonkers

I wouldn't use a hot dipped galvanized product on anything I'd be eating later. It's a heavy metal, and strictly regulated in the painting business, its a couple steps up on lead, but not much. It's never used in anything food related, ever.

I wouldn't use a hot dipped galvanized product on anything I'd be eating later. It's a heavy metal, and strictly regulated in the painting business, its a couple steps up on lead, but not much. It's never used in anything food related, ever.
That’s a good point

Last edited:
In my experience, thick Galvanized nails kind of have a rough texture to them usually. Almost sharp ridges. I'd hate for that to cut the fishing line if you accidently bump it.

In my experience, thick Galvanized nails kind of have a rough texture to them usually. Almost sharp ridges. I'd hate for that to cut the fishing line if you accidently bump it.
Ya, I was hoping to find stainless 12" spikes but may not be a thing. Not a big deal. I will likely order a gaff hook and fork over the $13 to PacificNetandTwine - Or maybe order the one suggested earlier from Princess Auto.

Just make sure whatever you use as a hook is super secure the handle. Store bought gaffs / hooks have a little 90 bent in them so they don’t pull or separate from their handle.
Ya, my plan (if I used the nail) was to notch out the handle to hold the nail and have a wider notch to accommodate the head of the nail, which would act as that 90 bend in the hooks. Was going to epoxy and then wrap.

I think after a lot of consideration, I will skip being creative and not bother to go this route though, and just get either a gaff hook from pacificnetandtwine.

I don't mean to be insulting (this time), but have you used a gaff much?
The length and weight of the handle is important and very personal.
I like it light enough to easily do a gaff release of a fish and heavy enough that it will penetrate a big ling head.
While I like the idea of the pike pole handle, I am not sure it is as heavy a handle as I would like.

I have a wood lathe in the shop, mostly used for pens and bowls. My son-in-law, who fishes with me every summer, ordered a bonker. But now I think I'll surprise him with a matching gaff! I'm thinking laminated teak, white oak and thin purple heart stripes between.

I have a wood lathe in the shop, mostly used for pens and bowls. My son-in-law, who fishes with me every summer, ordered a bonker. But now I think I'll surprise him with a matching gaff! I'm thinking laminated teak, white oak and thin purple heart stripes between.
That is going to require a photograph or two.

Here is one of the Gaffs I made out of an axe handle. I used 1/4 SS from the Metal Supermarket and welded on a tab like the ones from PNT have. I started with the meat hooks from Princess Auto, but they were too thick. The black line on the handle is 65cm. The whipping has been soaked in epoxy, and the handle coated in varnish. I should have sanded the handle right down and not relied on the original manufactures finish as a good base, because as you can see it didn't hold up. I made three more of these for my fishing buddies
1614147716002.png

Okay done. Ended up buying a hook from reddennet. Used a piece of old shovel handle. Lashed hook with old crab trap rope. Made the handle with hockey tape. Cut a couple grooves to mark salmon lengths.
Still need to put some verathane or something over the rope / handle but don’t have any on hand at the moment.

Pretty happy how it turned out

Attachments

• ED0A0089-C67B-44A6-916E-1928EC07A0FE.jpeg
    ED0A0089-C67B-44A6-916E-1928EC07A0FE.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 54C75BED-0AA9-426A-B73A-2EF5C37210D1.jpeg
    54C75BED-0AA9-426A-B73A-2EF5C37210D1.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 4E19CE5B-D64D-48AE-BE99-353990066259.jpeg
    4E19CE5B-D64D-48AE-BE99-353990066259.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 47
Back