future of downriggers/cut plugs

Your wasting your breath talking to this guy. Check out his previous 22 posts; almost all are designed to stir the pot and not advance the interests of sport fishing He is a Commie and that is whose interests he is trying to advance here. Besides wanting us to fish with a string and stick, he also wants us to switch to catch and release. How about we write his buddies a cheque if we want to keep one. I am sure they would also like to own some fish/quota that they could lease out rather than work. Wish he would stop using the “we sporties” - he is not fooling anyone. Glad someone found the troll spray; I was looking for my can.

seriously? A commie? What decade do you think you are living in? Come on in to the 21st century.

seriously? A commie? What decade do you think you are living in? Come on in to the 21st century.

"Commie"......equals a Commercial Fisherman.......not a Roooskie! :rolleyes:

We are referring to these guys.

alaska-fishing-4.jpg

Not one of these guys.

gorbachev.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in areas up at Rivers Inlet that exists today. There are a few restricted areas out there. I may be an Aprils Fool, but with DFO, you never know.

BGM, I just returned from RI and yes there is restricted areas but those are more to protect the Whonnock Springs at the Rivers Head. There are 3 areas I learned of that having restrictions, the first one is how far up the river the COMMIES can go, the 2nd and 3rd are lines marked with shore markers across the channel where only 2 Spring Salmon can be taken in each management zone.

To my knowledge there is no restrictions on Rigger use anywhere in RI.

As far as the Commies/fish farmers and other select individuals attempts to draw us all into a aggravating, self targeted, only good for them discussions aimed at us sport fishermen, I simply refuse to waste any energy what so ever by commenting on their stupid posts. I'd rather go to the dentist for an extraction without freezing.

In Rivers Inlet from Mcphee bay to the closed area in the head is restricted to no down riggers and largest lead I believe is a 8oz weight...you are aloud to retain only 2 spring a year out of this special management zone... :)

crazy talk!!!!!!
the sport fishing community has been getting better and better over the years at targeting and catching chinook.
There is talk of eliminating a couple of instruments that make us good at what we do.
One is the elimination of the downrigger.
Two is the elimination of cut plugging.
The mortality rate of released chinook from cut plugs is seriously high.
It could be in our best interests for us to suggest ways to help rather than have closure after closure ...
If we dont , ottawa will ram it down our throat or up our @#$ if we like it or not.
Think about coast wide catch and release? If we dont come up with real good suggestions , that is what we will be getting.

IMHO, given the reluctance of the government to take some proceeds of our salmon sticker and get into enhancement, our spring stocks are surprisingly strong. Better than years ago. Let DOF oversee the complete elimination of runs. Remember the definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. They applied that logic on the east coast with predictable results. I see no reason they cannot succeed on the west coast. SPORTS FISHERMEN MAY BE EFFICIENT BUT THEY ONLY TAKE A VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE OF CHINOOK. Given the external pressures, if you banned all salmon fishing for 12 years, you would not see any appreciable increase in salmon runs.

When all your Commercial fishing buddies sell their boats for scrap metal, we will see where things stand. Until then does anyone really need to make a suggestion as to what you can do with your stir the pot troll posts.

Of course, anyone feeling terrible about catching Chinook and wanting relieve themselves of that guilt by giving away their new electric downright, please PM me. I will do whatever I can to help.

Back