Funny fishing stories

Nimo

There must be an aweful lot of funny fishing stories out there - guided or otherwise. Here's one of my favorites - having the caustic sense of humour that I do:

I'm guiding on a group of about 15 boats or so up in Campbell River (perhaps mid 90's.) At the time I was guiding independently and fished for any number of the local lodges. This particular corporate client moved around a bit (between lodges) and so I've fished the same group 3 times at different places.

A guest that I've fished before gets in my boat (hadn't learned the first time?)- I know he fishes a lot everywhere and has a bit of a "go big or go home" mentality. This was "mid to late" July and I knew that a small bump of large fish should be showing up at a particularly favorite spot any day. So I discuss with the 2 guests that we can go down to where there are a few small fish with everyone else (perhaps catch 1-2 per day at the time) or we can go to this other spot and sit and wait for something large. They are all in for big fish, have to show up the other guys, and so we decide to wait it out.

Two full days go by. Most of the boats are coming in every day with 1-2 Springs 10 - 15 pounds. We have caught perhaps a coho or two. This guys starting to get upset with "our decision." He's being shown up by almost all of the other guys. By the end of day three it's clearly my fault.

He comes down on the final morning and he and his dad (who had joined the rest of the boats and had a couple small Springs for the trip) have arranged to switch guides. His dad gets in my boat. It's the last morning of the trip and the plane is due in by about 10:30. Anyone with my sense of humour already knows the ending.

We go to my favorite spot (not a secret spot, but as has been mentioned elsewhere local knowledge of timing is everything, and this WAS particularily true in areas like Campbell River.) 1st fish 26 lbs, 2nd fish 18 pounds, 3rd fish 21 pounds. We're fishing lightweight Richmake flyrods (8-9 wt) and have spent approximately 2 and a half hours playing these three fish. It's now about 9:45 and we have 1/2 hour for the plane to arrive. Do we risk another fish? Of course. The tide changes and we float through with the new back-eddy set-up.

We hook our final fish in that first drift, it comes straight to the top about 150' from the boat. It's clearly a large fish and fighting it is going to take well over a half hour. But this fish is just laying out there doing a long slow circle around us (Jaws?) No jumping, no runs, just playing dead.

We motor slowly over to it with the guest keeping the line nice and tight (dad was much better on the rod that the son.) I get close enough to land the fish; it still hasn't moved. I take the opportunity, net the fish, and all hell breaks loose. This fish is thrashing all over the net and boat. 4th fish 28lbs.

These two guests caught two of the largest fish for the trip and won whatever pots they had on the go. We return to the dock and people are everwhere. I start tossing the slabs up on the wharf. 30 - 35 yr old Sonny won't even look my way; he storms off the dock.

Morale: The problem with being a guide, is you're only as good as your last tide:D

Nimo

Here's another: I'm fishing at a semi-remote lodge on the West Coast VI. The guests fly in by float plane and so go through valleys, over mountains, across our endless clearcuts, and finally land back at our lodge.

W're on a group of about 15 retirees from the US. First morning out we run about 40 minutes to the outside past the kelp beds, past the sea otters, etc... We stop and get set-up. After a while one of the guests looks at me and asks, "how high above sea level are we here?" I look over the gunhull of the whaler and ask him, "how long's your arm?";)

Any others?

While guiding out of Bambfield, we had lots of strange questions.

- I have had the sea level question[:p]
- One of the best was when were over by Ukie. The big hill off the coast with the dome on top...How much do you think that mountain weights????[:0]
- How much does as seal weight? Do we have enough line to get one in?

For a good story

There was this couples derby in town. Entrance fee included fishing and prizes. The biggest fish of each was combined for total weight. I had this great young couple who has saved up for a fishing trip/short Honeymoon. Well for two day we fished alongside other boats and caught one sea duck, on the downrigger at around 40', and that was it. Everyone else was catching 5-7 springs a trip and the winner eneded up being a combined 60 some odd pounds. I felt like crap, and even though they won a cash prize for the strangest catch, I ask them if I could take them out for a few hours the next morning, on my own bill, before they flew home. The boss said ok, and covered the fuel. To make a long morning short, we ended up with a 43,41,36 and three in the 20's and the other boats out that morning....a couple of small teens. Go figure[:p]

But that fishing.....

I want to book a couple days when the smoked salmon are running.True story.

About 22 years ago my family visits friends in Gold River.Seeing that we don't have a boat,my fathers and his friend take me and my brother to the Tahsis river to try some river fishing as the springs are in.
We find a spot off the side of the road where hundreds of big fat chinook are holding on the far side of the river.After twenty plus minutes no one has been able to cast far enough.With a total of about 15 people not having any luck,my dad's slightly haywire friend has a better idea.
He spots a fish just off the shore on our side.He creeps slowly towards it.As he passes by me he says in a low voice "I'm going to strangle that little *******"
Now he stands almost right on top of the salmon.He jumps,plunges his whole upper body into the river,and grabs the fish."yeah! I got him!"
he screams.All around stop to see the achievement.
With a great smile on his face,he wheels around and raises his catch.
As soon as the fish is hoisted above the cold water it falls apart.
First the head;the man's smile falters.The body then collapses;pieces of flesh slough off like a sand castle in a wave of water.The smile is now gone.
Fellow fishermen trey their best to hide the smile stolen from the man.It is no use-someone starts to laugh.
"get your Dad!"cries my father's friend, "we're going home!"
I try to find my Dad but cannot see him.An older man sees me looking around and says to me, "Your Dad is up on the road- he couldn't stop laughing!"

Back