Fulton tongue jack. Worth the $ ?

Prfisher

I'm looking for a better tongue jack for my trailer. Bought a new steel jack this spring & (despite copious amounts of grease & oil) it's already rusting badly inside & very hard to turn.
The Fulton aluminum leg jack looks good, but it's pricey. Don't mind the cost if it's gonna last more than one short season. Any advice would be appreciated.
The tongue weight is about 300 lbs.

I used it on a equipment trailer at work, I bought it for the brake function, but the brake doesn’t work very well. It sure looks pretty, maybe too pretty for my trailer lol. It’s been on the trailer for 2 seasons and still seems to function. Mine didn’t come with the mounting kit, that was a pain.

I bought this one earlier this season. So far so good

Attachments

• 9B88D00E-7F26-45B2-848F-E7BCFC894B20.png
    9B88D00E-7F26-45B2-848F-E7BCFC894B20.png
    356 KB · Views: 63
I have a square tube Fulton similar to the one in scotth's post above. (steel not aluminum) I've had it since 2014 but I take it apart, clean it up and grease it every year due to corrosion on the tube and screw. The square tubes are a close fit and it doesn't take much corrosion to start to jam them up. One thing I found that helped, was to cover the top cap and handle with a plastic bag and bungie to keep the water off of the inside surfaces of the tubes and also off the screw. It's a good jack IMO but like anything else needs a little bit of maintenance.

overbuy, get one rated for 2x the weight, grease heavily. even spray with dielectric grease all over it.

I should have mentioned... my trailer tongue is really short & the jack gets fully submerged every launch & retrieve. I don't know if that's common or not, this is my first trailerable boat. May be the reason I go through a jack once a season.
I haven't taken one apart to grease it yet. Next rainy day project, I guess. Thanks for the replies, folks!

I have a Fulton jack on my trailer and it was installed when the trailer was new in 2004 and no problems. Mine only gets wet from rinsing the trailer off or washing the boat, never gets close to being submerged. I just grease the gears inside the tube each spring and lube up the tilt surfaces.

I've never paid any attention to mine...will have to look.

Zurk & Profisher... Thanks for the replies. Do you have the aluminum Fulton?

i have the Fulton 141133 - XLT® Jack, 1,500 lbs., Swing Away, Bolt-On (Mounting Hardware Incl.), 12” Travel, Patent Pending TruTurn 360 Castering System
i grease it annually. works great.

I have the Fulton F2 aluminum dual wheel jack. Good for 1600lbs. My tongue weight is approx 700lbs. Worth every dollar I paid. I went thru one cheap jack year one of the trailer and decided to invest in quality. Like the rest I grease it annually liberally. I only launch 4-6 times a year tho. I’ve also added a second cheap tongue jack as a backup (redundancy).

Just wanted to finish this thread up...
I ended up buying the Fulton XLT. So far, I'm impressed. Very skookum rig & super easy to jack up & down. I didn't even have to put my foot against the wheel to keep it from turning.
Before installing it, I took it apart and greased everything I could reach & sprayed a few coats of Beoshield onto every surface, inside & out. I'm sure it'll last a lot longer than the POS I bought in the spring.
Thanks to all that added comments.

Back