fuel tank

cedarman

Hi all I have a 17' 6" double eagle with a Johnson 90 VRO on it and it goes through the 4 5 gallon portable tanks I carry before I get to the rats nose out of Bamfield. Looking for a tank to fit either under the sleeper seats 40" x 10.5" x8 h or in the back where I have the portables now. hoping to get close to a 30 gallon tank. Any ideas?

boat-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by cedarman

Hi all I have a 17' 6" double eagle with a Johnson 90 VRO on it and it goes through the 4 5 gallon portable tanks I carry before I get to the rats nose out of Bamfield. Looking for a tank to fit either under the sleeper seats 40" x 10.5" x8 h or in the back where I have the portables now. hoping to get close to a 30 gallon tank. Any ideas?

boat-1.jpg

A friend of mine (Peahead) has the same boat and motor. There should be a built-in tank in the floor, down the center-line of the boat. Did it start leaking and was closed off? Or removed?

That's where I would put a built in tank. Just make sure you get a good tank. Had a bad experience a couple of years back from Five Star Marine in Comox - they sub-contracted a gas tank for my boat and it was built by someone who did not know what they were doing. Go to an expert. People like Daigle in Campbell River.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks sushi hunter. I actually never had a built in tank. I opted for the 1 piece fibergalss floor so it would outlast me. Well I am only 29 so maybe not. If i had my way I would buy the same boat as the fog ducker anyways. There is a company in Vancouver which makes tanks for everyone but $500 bucks seams like a lot for a 30 gallon tank.

Kelly as for it being gutsy to run to the rats nose in a 17' boat I have never done it yet. I have done 14 mile but that is as far as I currently can get to and back on the currenty fuel capacity. I would only continue futher if the water permitted it and I am loaded with GPS radar radio and all other items I should have. Oh yeah and I am always on a buddy sytem when I go to the banks.

boat-1.jpg

Hey Cedarman,

I have the exact same boat, and had the same problem. I had a 30 gallon aluminium tank custom built to fit under the floor. Under the floor is just foam. I cut out the floor and foam and then made a template of the tank from 1/4"ply, its a vee bottom tank. the more complicated the shape the more expensive it will be to fabricate. Having the fuel midship also improved how the boat sits in the water, not so back end heavy.
Any questions feel free to contact me.

cedarman, I've got the same boat, it also has no factory built in tank. Catcher, is your boat a wooden floor? I contacted double eagle and they told me under no circumstances should i consider cutting the fiberglass liner. They recommended a custom bow tank or a stern tank. I went with the stern tank, getting one that holds approx 20 gallons. could not go any larger as the hieght is restricted under the motor well. I carry an additional 5 gallons which I store in the ski/fish locker when I'm away on my trips for safety to get home.

Bruce

abl

My boat has the plywood floor that has been glassed over. I phoned Double Eagle before I started the project and they didn't have any problems, they offered to sell me their stock tank for $550.They also gave me an idea on where to put it. I made sure to seal the edges of the ply with epoxy to prevent rot. I screwed the hatch down and sealed the joints with sikaflex. 2 years old now and no problems. I put a 5" inspection hatch in so i could be on the look out for any problems.

Have done this in the past on different boats the last one we replaced the floor it is very easy to doonce you cut out the floor measure you can get sooo many different stock tanks now.

As to relpacing the floor measure your floor and add 2 to 4 inches all the way around.
Went to my buddy who works in a sheet metal shop and got a piece of 1/4 inch alum checker plate I think the last piece was 28" by 64" and he cut it to size and then got them to bevel the edges to make it clean.

I drilled some pilot holes on the edges and countersunked them put some foam tape on the bottom side and then a dab of sika on the screws and fastened her down.

Also put and inspection hatch where the filler (top) is and where the connections are(bottom) now if you EVER have a problem all you have to do is undo all the screws and theres your tank again very simple and will out last mine and your life LOL

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

thanks for all the great advise guys. Double eagles are great boats but their customer support sure sucks now that they moved from Richmond. I may just try the west marine route first.

boat-1.jpg

well west marine does not make or sell a tank for the application I want to do that has any more capacity than what I currently have. So I am now looking for someone who is willing to make me a tank for cash. I am in the lower mainland and would hope to find one by months end. Can anyone please help?

boat-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by cedarman

well west marine does not make or sell a tank for the application I want to do that has any more capacity than what I currently have. So I am now looking for someone who is willing to make me a tank for cash. I am in the lower mainland and would hope to find one by months end. Can anyone please help?

boat-1.jpg

Be very careful about who you get to build your gas tank! Saving a few bucks now will not seem worth it when your bilge pump is spewing gas tainted water.

When you can smell gas in your boat, it is not fun, and not safe.

Get the job done right the first time - you will save more money in the long run. You might even save your life.

Give Double Eagle a call. They were very helpfull to my friend when he had them do some work on his boat a few years ago.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back