Frostbiten salmon ideas

fish stalker

Well looks like my freezer and packing sucks. Half is good half is not. I think a good freezer is supposed to stay -18 constantly or something like that.

This year I am going to can alot of my salmon. No matter how much work it seems. I like having a slab to throw in the bbq. So I am also going to try Wolfs way with laying flat with water in the bag to form a airtight seal around the fillets.

But what to do with a few cohos that have bit of frost bite? Cut off the bits and smoke is my plan so far.

Thought I should go for a stronger flavored recipe then normal, or use even a hickory chip? Does everyone stick strictly with alder?

Its not that bad but they are coho as well so there not that nice flavor like sockeye anyway. Im thinking this?

Brine:
¾ cup honey
10 allspice berries
2 bay leafs
½ cup sea salt
4 oz rum
15 peppercorns
10 cloves
¼ cup lime juice
1 quart water
6oz ALDER chips (do not use Cedar)
1 large salmon fillet (about 2lbs)

Marinate fillet in brine for 3 hours. Pat dry and air dry for ½ hour. Smoke as the directions of your smoker, but use the highest grill and temperature should be about 160. It will take about 1 ½ hours. Serve warm for greatest flavor, but chilled also works well.

or any others ideas? what have you done that you liked. so many recipes out there with such different measurements.

The best ive ever had (not mine) was a blackberry port smoked. So mabey thinking of getting a bag of blackberrys out of the freezer and a bottle of port with some salt and sugar...?

yes

inone case the bag ripped at the seam. the other two you can see just to much air. got a second hand sealer after borrowing. borrowed good,second hand not. but my freezer fluctuates to much...ahhh self defrosting...culprit?

I bought a self defrosting upright. It just ruins every thing. Even if I vac. pack and store in cardboard boxes the food freezer burns. Dam I even ruined prawns packed in yogurt containers packed in salt water.

Now I own two freezers....One is a chest freezer

As for what to do with it... I like to use it for crabbing and prawning once its freezer burnt. I brings fresh seafood into the freezer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was so disheartening. Those poor coho didnt deserve that. I learned my lesson. They were so dry I have no idea if they are even going to be editable. Did a ton of ginger,garlic,soy,saracha,sesame,oj zest,white wine... the asian kitchen sink mix. Then to put in my big cheif which I always swear ill never use again. I wonder if hali like frostbite bellys? grr

I found the only way to guarantee a good seal with vacuum sealers is to freeze the pieces first and then pack them. Then there is no moisture to get in the seal. Any tiny bit of moisture expands when it freezes and pops the seal.

thanks!

I do like 'fresh' on the bbq in the middle of winter and I did a few springs a few years ago and I never rememeber a problem. It was anougher freezer and I thought mabey I just ate them faster. What the use by time line, 6 months max?

My food saver breaks seals all the time. Disappointing for sure. My halibut has kept great but salmon not so much. Thankfully I only have enough for 1 more salmon dinner then last summers stock is all gone. I cut off the freezer burn and bake it like normal. Smoking should work good.

The cut off scraps I save for the crabs they seem to like frost bitten better then fresh although most won't agree with that statement.

Get a sharp knife, trim all exposed surfaces 1/4 -1/2 inch, keep trimming if you still smell freezer burn. Even if you end up with half, it's still better than chucking it or tryin to mask it with spices,sauces and smoke. Or make bait.

I think my foodsaver just sucks. I was looking at the beefy looking one trotac has on sale to. I am going to can alot more this year and if im out lots getting lucky I will get the pro one.

looks like someone stole my smoker from behind my house in the last month or two and I can find the racks for my other one. brined for 2 days and now getting a good peccial now. smells good anyway. The Bradleys were on sale too sitting right there almost topped of the visa with one today. mabey tomorrow lol.

I was at a buddy's house and he had a freezer burned filet from a bigger Spring he left too long.

I took it home, cut the frost bitten layer off and smoked it.

Later my buddy had a backyard Canada Day party, I took the smoked fish there and the crowd hoovered it up raving about its goodness. LOL

You can smoke the heel of your boot and make it taste good. ;)

In the future fish stalker, try to submerge your fresh frozen whole gutted and scaled salmon in an ice water bath and return it on a board etc. to the freezer. Let the salmon set up for 20 minutes or so and repeat the process. Continue this until a thick glaze of about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch completely envelopes the salmon. I use a large cooler or foam fish box for the process. Just make sure the water remains icy cold, by adding more ice as needed. I will then wrap the salmon or vacuum seal it. This process will allow any salmon, fillet etc. to remain as fresh as the day you caught it, as the freezer will very slowly eat away at the glaze rather then the flesh. I've enjoyed salmon well over a year old using this method. Try it you will be impressed.;) eman

I think my foodsaver just sucks. I was looking at the beefy looking one trotac has on sale to. I am going to can alot more this year and if im out lots getting lucky I will get the pro .

Where we go in Kyuquot they have a couple of the lower end FoodSaver's; I used them once and that was the last time as the seals/air in the bag were absolutely terrible. I now bring my fish home and process it here.

Investing in a better one is well worth it and if you look at your option of taking it to a processor to get it done properly/well......the investment pays for itself in no time.

Fishstalker:-- when we get an accumulation of salmon that has been in the freezer for too long......my wife cooks it all up and makes "fishcakes".....these turn out scrumpdillyishus....and actually are my favorite salmon dish.

I notice you seem to be at odds with your "Big Chief" smoker....??

We have a Little Chief and my wife does all the brining and smoking and it turns out delicious every time.

She always uses the brine where you put in a glass dish covered in brown sugar (plus a couple of other things) in the fridge for 12 hours before smoking....

I think my problem with my smoker is I always end up starting the smoking process when I get home from work or at night sometime and in a down pour or with 30k winds. and detest getting up at 3 am to put a new pan in a baste or check temps.

So it turned out great! Except I had hung a few strips as I could only find one rack and they melted off and ended up in the bottom of the smoker. I put parchment paper down on the rack and cut slits in it because I can see there are spots on the rack were the finish isnt sealed and I find leads to a metallic tasting fish.

Spray your racks with BBQ Pam, it will protect the fish and makes clean-up real easy.
I use it in my Bradley, have since it was new, all I do is throw the racks in the dishwasher. Air Dry!!

Somewhat off topic but the best solution to freezer burn is not to get it in the first place

I filet salmon and vacuum pack them with a good Food Saver and seldom have a problem with Freezer burn for up to two years.

The secret is don’t get air to the flesh which means get a good seal in the first place and then don’t break it.

Get a good seal by cleaning/wiping the plastic clean where the seal line will be once you have got fish juice or fat on it when you placed it in the bag and make sure the fish is reasonably dry so you don't suck excess mosture onto the sealing line. If I think the seal may have been questionable even if it appears to be holding a vacuum, I run a 2nd seal line above the first by hitting the instant seal button.

There are two principal reasons the seals break. The first is perforation from pin bones. They are like little needles that push through the plastic and let in air. Either remove them with a small pair of needle nose pliers (best) or glaze over them with frozen water first. Remove pin bones and glaze gives you added protection. I usually don’t go to the trouble to glaze and get good results.

The second reason the seals break and air gets in is rough handling in the freezer. We have all done it, throwing stuff around looking for that roast in the bottom or throwing a sharp cornered pizza box in on them. The plastic is delicate and can easily be punctured and even a tiny hole will cause air to get in and cause freezer burn. Keep your vacuum packed fish in box’s stacked flat and handle it very carefully when it is frozen. Remove the box when you are looking for stuff.

Finally a small number will lose their seal no matter what you do and how careful you are. They are easy to tell from separation or white snow ice in the bag. Go through your freezer periodically and look for these and use them first before they get significant freezer burn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back