Fried dogfish

Seasalt

I decided it was time to try some dogfish as my buddy was a always saying how good they are. They sure look ugly in the cooler next to beautiful Spring’s! Made a simple batter with quick rise flour and beer from Hank Shaw’s fish cookbook, and deep fried in Canola oil.I also made aa tartar sauce with sweet onion, garlic pickles, fresh dill, lemon and mayo that was more salsa-like than saucy. I have to say the fish was really, really good. Did a few spot prawns as well which were also great. Had never deep fried before so it was kind of fun…

Attachments

• E7D36DF6-AE7D-470A-AAD1-CAF9156BEBBC.jpeg
    E7D36DF6-AE7D-470A-AAD1-CAF9156BEBBC.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DE481A10-A05B-4F85-A27F-057F9AB6BD61.jpeg
    DE481A10-A05B-4F85-A27F-057F9AB6BD61.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 101
  • AA562D6D-3978-40CF-AF8C-B3062BEF5343.jpeg
    AA562D6D-3978-40CF-AF8C-B3062BEF5343.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 60F0E8B5-55A8-4DFD-B41E-EFEC5550D8D8.jpeg
    60F0E8B5-55A8-4DFD-B41E-EFEC5550D8D8.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 96
I decided it was time to try some dogfish as my buddy was a always saying how good they are. They sure look ugly in the cooler next to beautiful Spring’s! Made a simple batter with quick rise flour and beer from Hank Shaw’s fish cookbook, and deep fried in Canola oil.I also made aa tartar sauce with sweet onion, garlic pickles, fresh dill, lemon and mayo that was more salsa-like than saucy. I have to say the fish was really, really good. Did a few spot prawns as well which were also great. Had never deep fried before so it was kind of fun…
Looks tasty, I read that they **** thru their skin and that you should soak the fillets in buttermilk?

If you’ve eaten high end fish and chips in the UK you’ve eaten dog fish from our waters.

If you’ve eaten high end fish and chips in the UK you’ve eaten dog fish from our waters.
Just yesterday I was looking up 'Best Chippy in London' and sure enough one of them -the Golden Something- was advertising 'Rock' which used to be called Rock Salmon but we know as old Squalus acanthias

Just yesterday I was looking up 'Best Chippy in London' and sure enough one of them -the Golden Something- was advertising 'Rock' which used to be called Rock Salmon but we know as old Squalus acanthias
The Golden Hinde, just north of Oxford Street. Been there many times when we lived in London for six years.

And the fish and chips are as good as the reviews say.

There are some 30 lb dogs at the marina. You could gaff them onto the dock. I'm so intrigued but really doubt I could bring myself to doing this.

Looks tasty, I read that they **** thru their skin and that you should soak the fillets in buttermilk?
I think maybe on a larger shark that may be a good idea. The ones we kept were not big dogfish. They had no odor or funky smells. Filleted and skinned them and they sat in the fridge a few days before eating.

I think maybe on a larger shark that may be a good idea. The ones we kept were not big dogfish. They had no odor or funky smells. Filleted and skinned them and they sat in the fridge a few days before eating.
I marinated dogfish in 50/50 water white vinegar. Next day fried simply flour and spices in olive oil ... all fine. No marinade for you .. just sat them in the fridge?

Last edited:
Back