Fresh Smoked Salmon.

walleyes

Crew Member
And so the fall preservation begins.

Thawed out the big 28# day before yesterday and yesterday morning I put it into the brine. 5 cups dark brown sugar to 1 cup course salt. Layer of each and topped off with a layer of brine. After 24 hrs in the brine rinse off excess salt and sugar with brine liquid and into smoker at 140 for bout 5 hrs.

After 24 hrs in brine.
imagejpg1_zps6c8e84b6.jpg

On racks ready to hit smoker,, it's just cured here not smoked yet.
imagejpg2_zps2f2ac75c.jpg

Smoker warmed up and pan of chips ready.
imagejpg3_zps4df693a4.jpg

Maple chips.
imagejpg4_zpsfc31e301.jpg

Ready to pull.
imagejpg5_zps0f55ae0e.jpg

Cooling on the racks.
imagejpg6_zps6f0fc2d3.jpg

Vacuum sealed and ready for the freezer.
imagejpg7_zps515be3f4.jpg

Yah,, I find I have a few extra friends this time of year lol..

Wishing,,,, I have used alder mostly over the last few years and just tried the maple this go round. I certainly like it,, I wouldn't say it's soooo much better just different.. It's always good to change things up once and a while.. Give it a try you won't hate it I guarantee you that.

Ill give maple a shot..

Indian Candy? You wouldn't happen to have a good recipe for candy would you Seabouy?

I have seen a few on the web and it looks like it mostly comes down to 4 to 1 or so demera sugar to kosher salt, brine for 12, pellicule, smoke for three to four hours and baste with maple syrup and rum when in the smoker. Finish off a a slightly higher heat - 160 or so for last hour.
I guess the key being the small pieces - 1" x 1" x 1" or so.

I want to do up a batch after the smoker is made and wondering if there is anything you guys might like to add for candy..

Cheers

bilal this time of year lol..

Wishing,,,, I have used alder mostly over the last few years and just tried the maple this go round. I certainly like it,, I wouldn't say it's soooo much better just different.. It's always good to change things up once and a while.. Give it a try you won't hate it I guarantee you that.

Ill give maple a shot..

Indian Candy? You wouldn't happen to have a good recipe for candy would you Seabouy?

I have seen a few on the web and it looks like it mostly comes down to 4 to 1 or so demera sugar to kosher salt, brine for 12, pellicule, smoke for three to four hours and baste with maple syrup and rum when in the smoker. Finish off a a slightly higher heat - 160 or so for last hour.
I guess the key being the small pieces - 1" x 1" x 1" or so.

I want to do up a batch after the smoker is made and wondering if there is anything you guys might like to add for candy..

Cheers
Usually Indian Candy stays in the very sweet brine for 4 days or so-least the recipes I've put on here calls for that.

Back