Free seminar and Q&A on collapse of Strait of Georgia Fisheries: Feb. 11th 5-7pm

I hate the title of this thread, the collapse of the fishery, over the last 8-10 years I have seen nothing but improvement in MOST fisheries not all though. I'm glad these guys are doing research. And our fish stamps help .

Should be interesting to watch the next few years if the Kelvin Wave presently moving our way manifests into what could be a major El Nino event.

El Nino events certainly seem related to salmon survival too, as I recall Dr. Kees Groot telling us around 15 years ago or so.

Add in global warming aside from El Nino and the future for salmon doesn't look great.

Get'em while you can.

Take care.

With almost $10-million in funding raised from private donors, corporations and non-profits, the Pacific Salmon Foundation has started a salmon research project unlike anything the government ever attempted.

Launched on the 20th anniversary of the collapse of coho and chinook salmon stocks in the Strait of Georgia, the Salish Sea Marine Survival Project is aimed at finding out why the crash happened – and determining what can be done to restore the runs.

Brian Riddell, president and CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation, said the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, where he used to be lead scientist, never tackled the problem in the holistic way his organization intends to.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...on-stocks-collapsed/article18749501/comments/

Back