Fraser Spring Opening, is it worth it

cammer

hello guys ive posted this on another website but will do it here as well. Friday is the opening of Retention of Springs on the Fraser, i believe , through much research and opinion, that the chance of getting a fish in the imposed slot limit of 77cm and below is a very very low chance. Therefore a lot of the fish played out will be put back with a lesser chance of survival and we will be doing more damage to already threatened stocks. I believe that if sports fisherman cant keep their catch(springs especially), then there still is a concern and we should be off until we can keep our catch. I am not naive at all and understand that natives are netting and a few nets of theres would equall the total killed after release by sporties, or that tackle stores and the Fresh Water Fisheries Society will be more than pleased with lead, line, licence and hook sales, but when chances are sooo low to get in that slot, we will be doing more harm. I am very aware of the mortality study at Grassy but that is on sockeye which are landed in a few minutes where springs exhaust themselves with lengthy runs and time consuming power fights, this applies to Bottom bouncing, river mouth fishing and spin and glo fishing. Thoughts??

The key is water temp--- if warm, higher mortality. If cool, not so much. Now dont go asking me to provide references for this-- its from memory, and if any one wants to verify this info-- make Google your friend!! ;)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

brian, dont you think the pure size and length of fight has more to do with springs dying soon after a long battle , obviously temp can be a huge factor and isnt a factor now but really do people need to catch and release these things because 90% of the hook ups will result in fish being over the limit, DFO has to wake up here

im thinking of adding a few more people than myself highlights as thats why i brought up the subject??? ill wait till the august 1st opening instead and hopefully others spread the gospill

if you feel this way then where all the complaints about all the slot limit fisheries that have been going on for the same fish in the salwater plus the all out cnr fisheries for coho and steelhed that are currently all through out the province? Why ever open up threaten Thompson steelhead until a kill fishery can be allowed? Cnr for chinooks on the Fraser is just like cnr for coho's or steelhead and that seems to be an accepted practice

the difference to me is that the amount of angling pressure on the Fraser in the Chilliwack to Hope section can be much more intense and effective angling that we will see more hook ups there than the other areas you have mentioned, The Thompson is a different game and i know those fish become pin cushioned, there seems to be a high survival rate on there repeated catch and release, where as springs are on there way to die at the end of it, so there survival mechanisms are in a different state vs Steelhead who will eat and re energize</u>, im confused as to your points of coho catch and releasing, where is that&gt;?? Remember that im talking about a defined conservation measure here on this run

sounds like a lot of people arent, and i know a few of them. I knew there was one sector of sportsfisherman that frequent the scale bar that will poach and keep fish over the limit and im hoping that dfo has a good presence there

Cammer, Squamish system for a quick one has heavy pressure on cnr wild stock coho.Can't retain any hatchery or otherwise in the upper part of the system for conservation concerns. Really don't see a big deal about having one after all having rivers offering "jacks" only like the Thompson and others is really just a slot limit fishery.
I also missed the opposition to the saltwater slot/hatchery only regs that just finished up. Didn't see too many guys arguing to close it down.
I personally will not floss the fraser for chinooks, slot limit or not and I think the real arguement should be for DFO and MoE to not allow snagging techniques like flossing. Really don't see how that technique is "sports" fishing but it seems like others have no problem in doing so.

quote:Originally posted by cammer

the difference to me is that the amount of angling pressure on the Fraser in the Chilliwack to Hope section can be much more intense and effective angling that we will see more hook ups there than the other areas you have mentioned, The Thompson is a different game and i know those fish become pin cushioned, there seems to be a high survival rate on there repeated catch and release, where as springs are on there way to die at the end of it, so there survival mechanisms are in a different state vs Steelhead who will eat and re energize</u>, im confused as to your points of coho catch and releasing, where is that&gt;?? Remember that im talking about a defined conservation measure here on this run
Could you enlighten me on a Large Chinook cnr mortality rate similar to the sockeye one you are referring to at Grassy? I would think that all things being equal the springs should survive at similar or close to rates. I have to agree with RLN regurading the flossing issue, need to shut that type of technique down.It really has no place in sports fishing.

Show us the science for your rant.
No,I think so stuff, just the science that backs your argument.

quote:Originally posted by cammer

Gerry do you really believe they shouldnt back off when chances for keepers is so low?? Its a conservation era and its not worth flossing or bar rigging 10 fish to near exhaustion to eventually keep one

Gerry do you really believe they shouldnt back off when chances for keepers is so low?? Its a conservation era and its not worth flossing or bar rigging 10 fish to near exhaustion to eventually keep one

[quWe barfished two days so far on the Fraser. Total of 9 springs for 3 rods to the beach. 1 legal fish. The fish that we were released even after revving them in the water for up to 20 minutes were not in the best shape. The size of the hook we are using results in impalement to the eye or head.Even with us downsizing the hooks on the spin and glows, catch and release aint exactly ethical. Will not be out again till we can LEGALLY retain big ones. Why DFO puts a slot limit in on a fishery like this is a jk. Seen many that were not revived properly by other fellow barfisherman. And as much as I HATE the flossing fishery, it goes WITHOUT question that if there fish are revived properly would have way better chance of survival than a fish caught on a bar rod

On a side note i guess all the native netting that is going on along the fraser right now they are only keeping springs in the slot limit? And the dozens of sockeye they are getting are released as well&gt;? Disgusting the way that DFO manages the Fraser, not really hard to figure out why sooke gets slower every year!ote]

And comparing the squamish system to the fraser? wtf a little bit differant!

The great hode

[quWe barfished two days so far on the Fraser. Total of 9 springs for 3 rods to the beach. 1 legal fish. The fish that we were released even after revving them in the water for up to 20 minutes were not in the best shape. The size of the hook we are using results in impalement to the eye or head.Even with us downsizing the hooks on the spin and glows, catch and release aint exactly ethical. Will not be out again till we can LEGALLY retain big ones. Why DFO puts a slot limit in on a fishery like this is a jk. Seen many that were not revived properly by other fellow barfisherman. And as much as I HATE the flossing fishery, it goes WITHOUT question that if there fish are revived properly would have way better chance of survival than a fish caught on a bar rod

On a side note i guess all the native netting that is going on along the fraser right now they are only keeping springs in the slot limit? And the dozens of sockeye they are getting are released as well&gt;? Disgusting the way that DFO manages the Fraser, not really hard to figure out why sooke gets slower every year!ote]

And comparing the squamish system to the fraser? wtf a little bit differant!

The great hode

Interesting figures, But how could DFO justify lettting natives hammer them and shut out the sporties? This is just a few bread crumbs our way to say "you guys are getting some opportuities" when as you said this is a joke the way they manage the Fraser.As your reference to the Squam, i think RLN was pointing out the LOGIC behind how fisheries are managed, not comparing systems.

Interesting figures, But how could DFO justify lettting natives hammer them and shut out the sporties? This is just a few bread crumbs our way to say "you guys are getting some opportuities" when as you said this is a joke the way they manage the Fraser.As your reference to the Squam, i think RLN was pointing out the LOGIC behind how fisheries are managed, not comparing systems.

If the stocks are in that rough of shape that a slot limit has to be imposed then shut the whole river down. No netting no fishing whatsoever. I would have no problem staying off the river if that was the case!

The great hode

Back