Fraser River

R

RobTufnail

I recently read that this year the fraser river's estimated combined returns for sockeye and pinks are 26 million!(10 million sockeye, 16 million pinks)Now thats a lot of fish all biting pink gear:)

With that being the closest good fishing for me i know im going to be getting out there more then once!

Where do these numbers come from? I gather they are DFO's but are they posted somewhere?

I wonder how they come up with the forecasts.... I know that last year was a pretty big miss, so they must be seeing something positive this year. If anything, I would have thought the developing El Nino would have caused the forecast to be somewhat less than the story this one seems to be telling.

i dont have any info on el nino but i can answer to where i read the estimates, the new b.c outdoors has the entire coast dedicated to a seperate issue, even has info on how to fish local nanaimo areas.

You mean 28 million this coming summer? I wonder if the sockeye numbers will be good enough for a good opening in the saltwater again? I think the opening last year was unusaully long and productive for guys like us fishing in front of the Fraser.

I'm still confused why they don't leave the salt water open.What is the ratio of river fishermen vs saltwater boaters?

Remember that last year the Sockeye run was downgraded twice and they think that a lot of those fish died on the way upstream.

As to leaving Sockeye open in the chuck it's all politics.

They can't close Sockeye to AFS fisheries in the river (read Cheams) if people are still bonkin' 'em in the salt.

As to Pinks well they're fun on a Trout rod and decent eating the day they're caught but nothing special.[|)]

yeah im hoping that the sockeye numbers will be good, i wouldn't mind pinks but much rather have sockeye. Hell if both of em are biting and in good numbers it could be pretty entertaining[:p]Light gear and lotsa rods, last year when the bite was on out in the chuck 30-40 boats all got 4-5 fish in 20 minutes;)

We went to the Fraser mouth for sockeye last year and did good.But whats up with this Predator Charter guy? He knows his stuff! When no one had a sniff he was slaying them.I thought we were doing everything he was but we obviously not. Do you think he has better electronics to find and follow fish?

the guys probably a really expirienced guide in the area, and i've seen countless times guys fishing the exact same depth, speed, gear everything as every boat and they just cant keep the off their lines when everyone else is getting nothing. Especially with sockeye, once in a while i get to be one of those lucky guys, but a lot of the time you cant explain it

Dave (at Predator) knows his stuff, and he's a nice guy too. In fact, I've learned a trick or two from him over the years. Of course the more you fish, the better you get at finding what works (...and what's BS). That's why 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish; and I've been a member of both the 10% and 90% club on any given day. That's what makes things interesting, especially around Vancouver. [8D]

I sure hope that this year fishing is good, i went out and got sockeye gear today! I've only fished across there once so im really looking forward to learning the area:D

Thanks for all the info, cant wait to test it all out

quote:Originally posted by brisco

Fishin Magician,

Thanks for the pointers!

You're welcome!

I like to share the wealth on it as it's a lot of fun and 2 sucessful outtings and 8 sockeye are plenty for your personal consumption...in addition to the Springs and Coho you should be catching if you're out a few times during the season.

It's tons of fun, and turns into a game of how many you can get and how fast before you limit your boat out.

Besides, may as well get out there and catch 'em in the SPORTING WAY other than letting the ______________ people in the rivers FLOSS, snag and poach 'em.

It's much more satisfying..and the fish are PRIME!

Me and my family have finished eating all of the salmon from last year at this point with the exception of 1 half of a spring.

Time to get out FISHIN!

no worries about me snagging em in the river, I've been a chuck fishermen my whole life. Only fish i want out of the rivers are trout and steelhead(if i ever get the chance).

Plus the fish look so much better in the salt;)

no worries about me snagging em in the river, I've been a chuck fishermen my whole life. Only fish i want out of the rivers are trout and steelhead(if i ever get the chance).

quote:Originally posted by RobTufnail

Yep, Sockeye madness is one of those "thrills" every west coast fisher should experience. It's not just about the meat---the meat is the 2nd half of the reward.

If Sockeye flossers in the river were about the 'sport' they'd save a few $$$ up, gather up a few buddies, and charter a boat.

I'd like to encourage any of you Mainlanders who have flossed for Sockeye on the Fraser to get your collective you know what's in gear and book a trip for late August/early Sept.

Book a six hour or day charter with the following firms. Book it in advance, and specifically book for Sockeye. They'll likely want to sell you a 6 or 7 hour charter and that's what you'll need---it's expensive to run to the T10 or Sandheads.

Firms to book with are (in no particular order):

Predator Charters (with David Korsch)
Bonnie Lee Fishing Charters
Sewell's
M and M Charters
Bon Chovy Fishing Charters

Everyone of these individuals knows their stuff and are top producers.

It'll be a blast...Sockeye and Pink Combo fishing...with Springs in the mix too...

Looking forward to this summer!!!!! :) :)

:D

quote:Originally posted by RobTufnail

Yep, Sockeye madness is one of those "thrills" every west coast fisher should experience. It's not just about the meat---the meat is the 2nd half of the reward.

If Sockeye flossers in the river were about the 'sport' they'd save a few $$$ up, gather up a few buddies, and charter a boat.

I'd like to encourage any of you Mainlanders who have flossed for Sockeye on the Fraser to get your collective you know what's in gear and book a trip for late August/early Sept.

Book a six hour or day charter with the following firms. Book it in advance, and specifically book for Sockeye. They'll likely want to sell you a 6 or 7 hour charter and that's what you'll need---it's expensive to run to the T10 or Sandheads.

Firms to book with are (in no particular order):

Predator Charters (with David Korsch)
Bonnie Lee Fishing Charters
Sewell's
M and M Charters
Bon Chovy Fishing Charters

Everyone of these individuals knows their stuff and are top producers.

It'll be a blast...Sockeye and Pink Combo fishing...with Springs in the mix too...

Looking forward to this summer!!!!! :) :)

:D

Back