Ford 6.0L Head Gasket Repair/Bullet Proofing

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

So I got my truck home yesterday and it is definitely has a head leak, I can smell the coolant in the exhaust. I knew I was going to be facing this issue when I bought the truck so its no surprise to me that it happened. In my case its the result of the radiator leaking all of the coolant while moose hunting in Williams lake and the engine overheating. Good news is we our two moose, bad news the truck needed to be towed home.

I am currently contemplating the following repairs.

1) Standard Head rework and new head gasket
2)EGR Delete
3)Replace oil cooler (Factory replacement no relocation)
4)Turbo Inspection (I think its in good shape will have it checked)
5) Head bolts replaced with Studs

I think this covers what most Diesel Shops would call bullet proofing. I have been quoted between 10K and 12K to have this work done in a shop. I am a fairly handy guy, very mechanical orientated , and do most engine repairs on my boat.

Have any of you done this work yourself on a 6.0 liter ford? Was it manageable? How where the long term results?

Same question but for the shop, have any of you paid the 10K to have your truck bulletproofed? which shop did you use? Did the engine really last longer after the rebuild?

I really like my F350 but I only paid 10K for so I am wary of putting another 10-12K into it. My research shows I would be spending about 3-4K for all parts needed to do the work myself. I have all winter to do the work, as I don't need the truck again until March.

Do any of you have recommendation for diesel shops in the fraser valley?

Martin

Is that the generation of Ford diesels where you have to take the cab off the frame to do that job? The newer ones I know that is the case.

i have done alot of them. if you have coolant in the exhaust it is likely just the egr cooler, it is something you can do yourself with a bit of time. loosen of the passenger side turbo feed tube and pressure test the rad, if the cooler has a hole you will get coolant leaking out

As no luck stated it probably is the EGR leaking......this is a bit of a ****** job but not impossible. I did mine years ago. Got the delete from BD https://www.dieselperformance.com/ in Abbotsford. Taking your turbo apart and cleaning the vanes is actually pretty easy, just a bit finicky. Mine had a fair amount of axial play in it then but however many years ago that was it still makes good power.

Good luck,
Darin

Listen up sheeple......dude comes on here for help, and with the exception of myself and no luck receives zero help. We are here to help one another out not ***** one another out......just sayin

One of the work trucks is going through this. 07 F350 6.0L. EGR cooler has failed and burning a TON of coolant. Going to be getting the delete and a stock tune. Still on stock head gaskets with 235k km on the clock. No dpf on a 6.0l. Pull the egr valve and you will see if it’s the cooler pushing coolant through the motor.

noluck knows his stuff here, this is his arena but if in fact you do want to do a cummins swap...........thats his thing too LOL
Anyway back to your original post, if your head gasket isn't leaking yet and its only the cooler than I would suggest winding in a set of studs to help preserve the head gaskets life.

Back