For The Love of Fiberglass

demco99

Hey guys,

As a newbie to boat ownership I have a couple questions about keeping my fiberglass looking good. It's an 18' Whaler Outrage - Going to cut-polish and wax her in my driveway this week. What products for each do you recommend? Do I need to get my hand on a power buffer? How long do I leave each product on before removal etc? How many reapplications are necessary? Nearly complete newb when it comes to this stuff just know how to fish!

There's a noticeable difference between the hull itself and the fiberglass above the rub rail - I'm guessing the area above hasn't been cutpolished or waxed in awhile is what caused this. Should I use the same products above the rub rail? Do it all by hand(no buffer)? Is there better stuff to use on the non-skid(traction wax)? How do you guys get around the cleats and hard to reach areas?

Would love general knowledge as well - how many times per season should I give her this cutpolish/wax treatment? Just some Vim and a good rinse of freshwater sufficient after a day's fishing?

Cheers

If it's really bad us a proper cut polish, then wax...if not too bad you can use the 3M combo products (they come in a range of grits). Below the rub rail has seen less direct sun so should need less work.

To do a proper job of cut-polishing...you need a proper polisher with adjustable rpm equiped with a proper polishing pad. If you use the right tools and product you bring any gelcoat back to like-new condition. Canadian Tire has one 50% off right now for $50 that will do for your purposes...you'll need to buy the pad separately.
Apply the polish directly to the pad or the boat...either way works...I use a paint brush (only apply enough to do about 2'x2'). Polish the area until the product is gone (keep moving).
Around cleats and other obstacles...do what you can, you may need to use a bit of elbow grease. Be carefull around fragile things such as VHF antena cables with the polisher...they spin fast and have some torque.

For waxing...follow the directions on the container.

If you want a proper gelcoat shine you might have wet sand if the gelcoat is oxidized.The pros almost always wetsand using an air powered orbital sander,starting with maybe 400 -600 grit velcro sticking pad,then going to 800-1000-or even 1200 grit.Note;keep the paper wet with a little dishsoap in the mix.If I knew better when I started My 22 Whaler it would have been easy....... just wet sanding and finally cutting with a good quality 3M product and waxing.Just be sure to mask off any rubber parts on the boat or the polisher will burn them if they overheat.....I pulled all stainless bits off completely and went to town on it,resealed all with Sicaflex.Try different compounds first in a small 2x2 foot area and see how long it takes before going to wetsanding.Believe me I've been there......

Check out youtube. Lots of informative videos. Nothing is fast and easy. Compound, Cut and wax. Whalers oxidize white so your trying to get a cream color back. Apply with power and remove by hand. Use lots of pads and rags.

Take care.

Thanks for the info guys. Had a friend lend me a power buffer with 2 pads as well as some 3M finesse II product and a cleaner he uses on his non-skid and swears by. Gonna clean the non skid with this cleaner and then use a towel to rub on a traction wax. On the hull and other smooth areas going to clean with boat soap and then apply a cut polish and wax, both using the buffer. Can I use the same buffer pad to both apply and remove the cutpolish/wax?

With the cutpolish I use an 8inch foam,work it till all product is gone.Clean the foamy in dishsoap now and then .Apply a good wax then use a sheepskin 10inch.

Back