For the bleeding hearts out there... CAREFUL not a pretty video

Up here in the Okanagan, it's the deer that need culled. Wolves are here but not enough. We have a problem with peeps killing off the predators then complaining when the deer start eating their gardens. Happened with rabbits too. Mention deer or rabbit cull and you'll hear some serious whining.

So, not meaning to hijack this thread but I am about as passionate for wolves as I am for wild Chilliwack River steelhead. Matt, I know you were, and perhaps still are, a wildlife biologist, so I suspect your wolf killing days were at the request of your employers .. ?? My question is, after the wolf culls you were involved with, did it make a long term difference to the ungulates that were to be protected? Understand, I am not a bleeding heart; I have killed more than my share of animals as I once ran a registered trap line on the Chilliwack River, have hunted and sports fished successfully , and during my DFO career have been responsible for the deaths of at least 500,000 salmonids ( ****, maybe way more, all in the name of science)…

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Couple rungs up the ladder from another Latte Sipper from Hope methinks!
tongue-new.png

Some. Perhaps. Not All by any means! They Very Much have a role out there.
Regardless of one's emotions on the subject, they Belong as much or likely more than we do.

Cheers,
Nog
Latte sipper? Whiskey drinker more like it. Not emotional at all, could care less about wolves killing Bambi. Do take exception to someone bragging about how many wolves they have killed and how "good" they think they are at it. It don't impress me that much...

Well,, you got to hand it to Roy.. He knew this one would get this place going lol.. Sittin out there laughing at it all..

Good one Roy lol..

... Do take exception to someone bragging about how many wolves they have killed and how "good" they think they are at it. It don't impress me that much...

icon_lol.gif

"Bragging". I guess in hindsight it could have been taken that way. There are times I don't really word things all that well and unintended interpretations follow...

Wasn't "bragging" as much as pointing out to Fish Camp that his understanding that "Vancouver island has many of the biggest wolves in bc" was very much In Error, and that I actually have the background & experience to verify the opposite first hand.
Was I "proud" of what I did? Perhaps back then I was.
Was I "good" at the task? Apparently so for I shipped more hides to the buyers than any for 4 or 5 years straight.
Is this a task I still pursue? Not so much.
Do I care whether you or anyone else is "impressed"? Not at all. ;)

Matt, I know you were, and perhaps still are, a wildlife biologist, so I suspect your wolf killing days were at the request of your employers .. ?? My question is, after the wolf culls you were involved with, did it make a long term difference to the ungulates that were to be protected?

Although trained and educated as a Wildlife Biologist, I only performed that role well before I wandered North. I was in fact a Marine Mammal / Anadromous Fish Biologist. That said, I was peripherally involved in a couple of wolf culls in the Yukon. Guess the main reason I got into hunting the wild dogs was a keen yen for a Challenge. Damn near every other critter in the Arctic posed little of that. The wolves excelled, and drove my passion to hunt them as a consequence. That, and I very much did see a positive response in the localized ungulate herds as a consequence of my, and my Inuit Buddy's "predator reduction" campaigns.

There are a couple of interesting case studies from the Yukon (second time I brushed shoulders with Watson et al only to confirm they were as NUTSO as I had always perceived!) that indicate success for predator reduction programs. One of my Buddies (still lives up there) was a Central Player both as a Wildlife Biologist and an Aerial Gunner in the same culls Watson et al were so vigorously apposed to. I've followed the results as a consequence, and at least two of the study areas did see the caribou herds bounce back in very good numbers. Although not the focus of the projects, it was interesting to note that moose populations also swung noticeably up following the reductions.

IMHO it is a bit of a "stop-gap" measure though. Once the prey populations rebound, the wolves will always increase rapidly within a few years. Thus the main question becomes did we buy them enough time to rebuild to the point that can support an increasing occurrence of predation mortalities? Sometimes Yes, sometimes No. I do know of a couple that worked well (will contact my Buddy and see what he can offer in the terms of published data). On the other hand, I am also aware of a couple that the process is likely to be repeated (without the usual fanfare that comes from "publicizing" the fact ;))

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Matt. I and I'm sure others would appreciate the links your Buddy can offer. And thanks for your on the ground insight throughout this and other wolf debates, on other forums.

NOT really but thought others would chime in .. I have gotten a few in my day and seen stuff that makes people squirm and. When i saw the other day how some wolves are now killing up in ukie last year where I heard that people thought it was so "nice" to see them close to town I was like are people that dumb.... and now its happening lil fifi is getting gobbled up.. Sad really...

Really. I didn't think V.I wolves were really that big compared to those up North.

As per the video. The highway it was filmed from has probably killed, wounded and wasted more wildlife than the wolves in the area currently do. Just saying. Probably not legal to shoot from the Hwy. so putting the deer out of it's misery might get one into trouble, right or wrong. That's what wolves do and have always done. They have to to survive.

It wasn't filmed from a highway, it was at the ConocoPhillips Surmont site near Anzac Alberta. I work here. A couple of the operators were going out to a remote well site, on a ConocoPhillips privately built road, when they came across this and filmed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I embelished the wolf size sorry me bad ,but if i were a yeti i would hunt beaver under the refection of the full moon with spear.Scary when wolfves and cats do this to you while your in your tent near the lake , had this happen to me Muchlat lk,word being "CHILLING"when they capture rigth next to you.
Some may have thumbs!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back