FN proposes ecosystem in Tofino.

FN DO NOT HAVE RIGHTS TO USE PRIVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT PERMISSION. This has been a well stated fact for numerous years, in the courts and infact stated in the UN declaration of indigenous human rights and privilege. So the court determination comes with no surprise.

Certain Bands are Hell Bent To Leather to test this one my Friend.
Repeatedly if and when required.
Puts a bit of a stain on the whole reconciliation thing IMHO.
They care not, those that follow this road...
Unfortunate...

Cheers,
Matt

Let’s not be naive. All the lands are on the table.

The UN is not in charge of Canada.

When the people of Canada finally get to understand their proposal, there could be some changes.

Politics can change everything. Politics is about people.

Never assume!

The only land that is unquestioned is reserve land, Crown land, Federal land and marine parks. PRIVATE Land will not be effected. The UN would have to change the declaration...I don't see that coming into effect anytime in the future. Canada is not the first nor the second or third country to resolve this process with indigenous people throughout the world.

Pretty sure Queen elizabeth the second owns all the land in canada. The canadian government (crown) and the provinces just administers it. No canadian actually own the land they live on, they just own an interest in the stake.

so i'm sure it would all be quite complicated if it went before the supreme court.

trespassing is a different issue, it would infringe on the rights off all canadians including indigenous people.

That being said I can see a world where hunting rights are granted to FN on private land, Just like you can stake a mining claim on your neighbours land.

MAJOR Mistake.
Period.
Stop.
Endo.

Nog

Like it or not we have certain governments that are very favourable to First Nations and a lot of guilt in our young populations.

If politicians arnt going to say no then we are going to have major issues.

4 more years of selfie face and horrible Horgan and hunting and fishing for the recreational Canadian will be far different.

Conservatives stone wall many or these cases and issues and are far more favourable to us. They have a hunting and angling caucus as well.

Kinda a double edegees sword tho as the conservatives arnt the best at putting money back into the environment.

This is nothing but an attempted tax grab that I don’t and will not support.

Those bands have been trying to get sport fishing banned in Clayoquot Sound for 15 years because we catch too many fish and are the sole cause of the demise of our Chinooks.

And yet we aren’t the ones gillnetting the rivers nor seining the river mouths.

As far as hatcheries, they were gifted the one on the lower Kennedy river in the 80’s to run as a make work/reconciliation project which had the capacity for millions of salmon but thru corruption and mid management now rarely sees any returning fish.

Our little hatchery on Sharp Creek run by locals that receives no money from DFO, is funded by concerned locals, donations and the proceeds of 2 fishing derbies provides a thriving inside waters coho fishery as well as enough Chinooks to keep their runs at minimum or less escapement

Last edited:
So why wouldn’t all the taxes people pay there, and everywhere else for that matter, already be going to protect and enhance the environment there? There’s also 10’s of millions of dollars available through Government grants to do this work. Trudeau added $28 billion to the credit card.

Tofino already collects a 3% tourism tax and Ucluelet collects a 2% tourism tax that goes into maintaining and adding to the tourism infrastructure. With in the Pacific Rim National Park there is user fees which is how the parks are maintained. Enough is enough, this proposal is laughable. Where parts of FN land is access for I believe the Big Tree trail there is already monetary compensation.

If FN land is accessed then they can set a user fee and collect it like any land owner in Canada. The ocean is off limits. Im tired of the government being so **** scared to say NO leaving the tax payers to pick up the tab. My generation had nothing to do with any mis treatment yet we are being punished for stuff a few idiots in government along in collaboration with the church a few generations back. Yes punish those who were apart of that discusting treatment to FN people. But should a grandchild be tossed in the clink because his great grandfather committed a robbery or some sort of a crime, the answer is no. The offender pays the price for his offense not offspring generations down the road that had zero to do with it and would never have anything to do with any crime or mistreatment of others.

Maybe our government should get real and quit paying out a terrorist millions of dollars perhaps the government should come up with a one time settlement compensating all who suffered residential school so future generations can move forward in a positive and on an equal playing field. Ongoing privilege will create divide that's the reality, and where does it stop?

Last edited:
And our Ukee property tax is going up 3%. Tack on another bill...... Those park fees must bring in some pretty decent money for maintaining the trails and beaches I would think.

So why wouldn’t all the taxes people pay there, and everywhere else for that matter, already be going to protect and enhance the environment there? There’s also 10’s of millions of dollars available through Government grants to do this work. Trudeau added $28 billion to the credit card.
This tax is strictly a user fee to fish the local FN’s “territorial waters”
I won’t be paying this unless it’s by gun point

Canada's very diverse in religion, race etc which is what makes Canada such a great place to live. But at the end of the day we're all Canadians and need to abide by the same rules, regs any many other things to ensure a prosperous country for all creating harmony among all fellow citizens.

Cory lax our property taxes went up 30% last year and we just received our notice for this year and it's going up another 13% !! We're getting taxed to death out here just can't keep adding more taxes to our already over taxed lives.

Quinalt band run the hatchery there, that’s why the regulations are like that. Or that’s how it was when I was there last I think....maybe sharphooks can chime in.

Cory lax our property taxes went up 30% last year and we just received our notice for this year and it's going up another 13% !! We're getting taxed to death out here just can't keep adding more taxes to our already over taxed lives.
Oh yeah I didn’t mean that ours only went up 3%. Ours went up a lot more than that but property value did as well. I meant the additional 3% (I think that was the number) for the improvements to the trails, parks, visitor center, etc.

Quinalt band run the hatchery there, that’s why the regulations are like that. Or that’s how it was when I was there last I think....maybe sharphooks can chime in.
You cant fish the lower Quinault river without an indian guide. The lower river and all the tributaries are on the rez. You can fish the upper river outside the rez. And yes the tribe runs the hatchery, But we pay for most of it. Read up on the Skokomish river, Here in Washington. We have a state run salmon hatchery and cant even fish it.

Last edited:
This park fee is nothing more than a 4th level of government taxation, and is not legally supported in Canadian law. They have no legal means to collect that fee, and frankly its unclear what the cash would actually be used for. Furthermore, that tax places businesses in Tofino at a competitive disadvantage. Charter operators for example would be charging an additional fee to their guests - who are spending totally discretionary after tax dollars - they will vote with their feet and travel down the road to Ucluelet and get the same charter experience for less. How can the Tofino guides compete? Think about it. Sounds really sexy to be paying an eco-fee, but the bottom line is in a competitive market there will be winners and losers here...and this is nothing more than an illegal form of taxation IMO.

Back