FN Fishing Court Decision

Don't even for a second believe this ruling doesn't have potential to directly effect sportfishing access as well!

Nog

There is no doubt of that and I would say it already has even with the black market sales. But now there will be a great deal of pressure to implement and expand FN commercial fisheries and the only place that it practically can come from for many species is commercial fisheries. The irony of government using tax dollars to buy up commercial Halibut quota to give to first nations after only a few years ago giving it away for free to non FN commercial interests is rather delicious. Once into shellfish it will get interesting.

The big problem I see both for governments and FN leadership is maintaining some semblance of conservation related regulatory control of expanding FN commercial fisheries. 150 years of commercial fishing and habitat destruction in Canada has done the damage and led to the collapse or near collapse of stocks. That has slowed in recent years by heavy regulation for some species. Large, expanded, difficult or impossible to control first nations commercial fisheries may just finish the job.

Sport fishing is now and has always had only a tiny impact, while contributing hugely and disproportionally to the economy. I would rather see first nations into guiding, marina, camp ground and lodge operations than into further commercial strip mining of fish and shell fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
the Boldt decision in WA gave 50% of everything to the tribes. the remaining 50% is divided, using mystical formula, between the non tribal commercials and the rec anglers. best of luck.

If the salmon, resident orca, bears, eagles and humans are lucky, they will claim and exercise their historical right to 100% of the west coast seal hunt.

Back