Flushing 2010 Suzuki 9.9... WTF?

Franko Manini

Uh... Okay, I have a new to me Suzuki 9.9 high thrust, electric start, power tilt kicker. I wanted to know how to properly flush it, so I got the little adapter, and I read the manual. The manual says... No ****, remove the propeller! AND plug the intake, which BTW is under the cavitation plate, with DUCT TAPE! Not only that, but unlike its big brother, the 140 sitting next to it, you don't just unscrew the flush plug. It requires a Phillips screwdriver!

So my question is this: does anyone actually do all that crap? Remove the prop (this might just be a liability issue) unscrew the flush port, screw in the adapter, tape up the intake, then flush the motor? Or do people just use the good ole muffs? Of course given the location of the intake, using the muffs is pretty tough access.

What the hell were those engineers thinking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's basically what the instruction book for my Merc kicker said as well...........either that or I had to use a special adaptor that screws in underneath up top, which doesn't flush the leg.

So I use a garbage can.......or if I'm in a hurry I use this thing...which I made myself out of an old clamp-on earmuff

It slides between the prop blades and covers the bottom intake.........

works like a charm.......but you can't put the motor in gear while it's on.......not that I need to......

001.jpg

I have the same motor and do all you mentioned other than removing the prop. It's a major pain in the butt as the tape usually doesn't want to seal worth crap. I am going to either use a bucket or build a flush attachment similar to what Seafever has done for next year.

A quick trip to canadian tire for this little goodie should solve your problem.
Just cut one side and done! image.jpg

Canadian Tire, here I come. That is a perfect solution. Now I just need a Y connector and two shortie ex of hose and I can flush both motors at the same time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have a link or item number for that from Canadian Tire? I have looked at the boating dept a hundred times and have never seen that.
I definitely want one.

I have one of those PITA motors - I use the duct tape, but leave the prop on.
Stosh

That is a great looking adapter.

Guys,

I have done some research, and this adapter is mad by SeaSense. Here are the details...

Fits Motors Up To 15 H.P. Slip On Design allows easy installation without removal of Prop. Allows the cooling system to be flushed out using a garden hose. Also a great way to test run your boat before heading for the water.

Seasense Part # 50073745

Fits most outboard motors 15hp or lower with a cavitation plate between 3.5" and 5" across.

1 Year Limited Warranty

Not sure if I can find one locally, but I will give it a try before ordering online.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Back