Flounder time of year

S

SIR

Never hear much about folks fishing for flouder in the strait. Not sure why as there are a tonne of them out there and they taste great!!!

We got skunked trout fishing this morning but took our utralight spinning gear and went flounder fishing on the way home as at this time of year they are feeding ferociosly as they get set to spawn. We had our limit in an hour and had a hoot catching them on the lightwieght gear. The rod tips were bent into the water at times with some of the larger ones but fortunately everything survived. In case you ever wondered flounder really seem to love glow marshmellow trout bait.

So once again I say salt water fishing GOOD, fresh water fishing FAR TOO MUCH WORK :D

gotta love them buggers, on a slow day i would just go dig up some clams, set out some rods on bottom with a chunk of clam and wait. Always seem to catch a bunch and on light gear they fight like hell, get 5 or 6 of them and you can make some good sandwiches[8D]

gotta love the salt eh SIR

Should have mentioned our flounder fishing rig/technique. We use 1.5-2oz needlfish jigs with VERY SHARP barbed treble hooks and worms (usually we save the sand worms we get from clamming). In our area the flounder are very depth sensitive and we only seem to catch them in quantity between 50 and 80 feet. (The good news on them being so shallow is that you can fish these guys even when the tides running hard) We look for sandy flats just below a drop from a shallower reef. We get the boat stationary and let the jig go all the way to rest on the bottom. Then jiggle the rod tip 2-3" up and down. The lure stays in contact with the bottom the whole time you are really just shuffling it around enough to feel the bite. Keeping the boat relatively stationary is very important and usually requires a fair bit of back trolling. The bite on these guys is VERY light and requires and immediate and aggressive hook set ie trophy bass fishing style with the rod waaaaaaayyyyyyy over your head then reel like a banshie to keep pressure on all the way up. Feeling the bite takes a bit of practice but once you get it down these guys are easy to catch consistently. Check your bait often as they have very nimble teeth and will strip your bait every time if you miss the bite.

Most of what we catch are 12-14 inches. We've played around at greater depths and used bigger jigs and larger baits but never been able to find any bigger fish. Not sure if they get bigger and if so where to find them/catch them. Anyone had any luck finding bigger flounder on the inside of the island???

We don't have the huge halibut you guys on the outside of the island do so we have to make do with what we have but on the upside with our nice calm waters we don't have to worry about spilling the martini's :)

i have seen arrowtooth flounder while flyfishing estuaries that were pushing 10lbs. I have caught flounder to maybe 6-8lbs. Ushually a bit deeper in the 100-150ft range. they sure are aggresive and lure size doesnt seem to matter
haaaaaa.jpg

Haven't targetted flouder since I was a kid, but I've had lots of success in the past with little silver jigs (Deadly Dicks, Hopkins). If you run into bullhead, then you're too shallow.

Hooked into a salmon on real light gear as a kid (while targetting flouder). Wow, that was a fun (short) fight. Lost it, but the adrenaline was great!

Flounder are so plentiful, that it's probably the best fish with which to get kids hooked on fishing. Just hate to fillet them.... unless they are REALLY good size.

Fillet na I just cut a V removing eyes and mouth, gut them and throw them on the BBQ like pancakes meat puffs up and comes off easy after there cooked. Less hassle and more meat.:D

Cheers ME

that's how most small fish are cooked in southern waters - except they usually leave the head on and you just pick the meat off.

Yep.... that's how I like 'em, but the wife likes them filleted "just like you get at the store".

SIR
You should try fishing Starry Flounder behind you in Okeover. Word of advice though use heavier gear have had them upwards of 10 lbs.
There was a fishery at one time in Okeover and they are starting to recover. Try the Theodosia Estuary round about this time of year.

Starry Flounder seem to be much stronger tasting (if I remember right). They definitely get some size to them though....

Thanks Kisinana. I just did a Theodosia run last week, never thought to try for flounder there, always more thought of flounder on sand vs mud but will certainly give it a go next time I'm up there.

Have never tried fishing in Okeover but always thought that the tide rips between the entrance islands looked like a good salmon spot... also wondered if all the barrels from the shellfish farms in Trevenon Bay would provide structure for baitfish...

So many places to try..... so little time.

Thanks again.

haha gotta love the flounder....kept myself occupied for hours when i was younger. Nothing beat a good flounder tournament with a group of friends on a summer day

Back