Flossing in B.C. waters?

A

ashtonspoutine

Hey guys,

I just made the mistake of posting this in the saltwater forum. I think this is the appropriate place for it.

I just spent the past 2 1/2 months fishing in S.C. Alaska and had a great time. Before that, I was living here in B.C. for almost a full year but only got to go out 2-3 times river fishing. Once with Milo who was kind enough to show me and my buddy some tips and tricks.

So really, I learnt how to salmon fish in rivers in Alaska. On every single river I went to in AK, there were ALWAYS people, if not EVERYBODY who was trying to catch using the 'flossing' technique. We did it for reds, kings and silvers or sockeye, springs and cohos.

It happened on occasion that fish would get snagged, but when done properly I was hooking 9 out of 10 fish in the mouth.

Last year, when I was in B.C., I remember reading very very heated debates on another forum about this type of fishing, but I never really read the whole threads. I figured, I hardly even knew what it was so I didnt want to form my opinion about from reading posts.

Now, I have a question about it.

- Do people 'floss' fish here in B.C. or is it illegal?

Thanks in advance.

Please close this thread. It seems I offended some people.

when I started fishing rivers I too learned to floss but I got board of it real quick, its not fishing in the true sense of the word in my opinion. Its far more entertaining, gratifying to fool/trick a fish to bite/attack a lure. thats fishing.

Go down to the vedder river,but they call it combat fishing.

what is real sad is on the Stamp, its the only way people get there coho there, a lot of good fishers know that those fsh dont bite too well and its excepted, sad really

Hello

What exactly is the technique for flossing?? Is it just snagging the fish?? If its snagging, whats the point??

Thousands of those fish in the river are put there for us to catch. If everyone stopped fishing them there would be no reason for the hatchery program to exist and the government would shut it down. Look at some of the other Island rivers that had their programs dropped for that exact reason.

bee15

Why shouldnt people be allowed to fish the salmon in the river?? Its ok for people to catch them in the ocean on the way to the river. What is the differance??

d.

ib guess i was taught the old way which was leave the spawners alone in the tiver dee dub. things have changed i guess.if dfoscientists say theres enough springs in the river, fishers could harvest the excess selectively might be a better way to manage the fisheries

Back