floats

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader
does your float color really matter, does it spook the fish if its easy to see?
No if it's that low and clear that fish are spooked by something coloured like a stick or a piece of old foam you have all kinds of trouble coming your way to try and catch that fish.

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader
and what am i supposed to do with my expensive levelwind setup now that im hooked on the centerpin
Keep it for Coho in the chuck throwing Spinners/Zzingers or dragging Apexes, Spoons, Bucktails.

billreidsalmon.jpg

If you run a driftboat you will want a level wind a centre pin and a flyrod. Have them all set up with something differant and hit each spot with all three before moving on. If a fish is in there you will certainly hook it. If nothing takes what you've given then you can be satisfied nothings home.

hey YS am in the same dillema as you,,,but once you have mastered the center pin you now have double the chances to get into some steel.....[^]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

I have used a centre pin for years. They are a lot of fun. You cannot beat the speed however of a quality matched trigger rod and level wind. I use this combo for searching water. Once I find the fish I'll switch to my Pin.

The pin is much more personal and fun tyo play fish on but you will catch more fish using a good level wind because you will get twice as many casts in. I think a center pin is good for smaller flows and a level wind is good on big systems where you are going to cover alot of water.

i just dont find the levelwind nearly as enjoyable anymore now that i have the centerpin. ive heard people tell me to put the clicker on when im playin fish but its so quite if u dont. i like the fact that i can cast 1 inch peices of pencil lead 70 feet loaded up with 15, i wouldn`t be able to do on my calcutta levelwind. and why do they make black floats if colour doesnt matter, isnt the white with bright top the easiest 2 see?

Its mostly personal preference. You wouldn't catch me dead on a river with a white full size dink float:D Way to Neewbish;)

Pass the Pack

X2

I prefer the solid grey ones with the chartreuse and flame tip. The tubing must be hot glued in place as well. For clear water I cut the standard float down in length.

For fishing jigs I will use a Drennan. They are also excellent in low clear water situations as are crk quill floats. Expensive for the newb always hanging up. Do'nt use these if your pin cast is not up to par. The trees will eat them for sure LOL

I use a smaller size high density dink float, green with orange top.Level wind reel and rod setup because i can cast much quicker and cover more water then a centerpin guy.I pound them with bait to maximize my hookup ratio,its all about being as efficent as i can while out on the flow.I run and gun,no fenceposting for this steelheader.I hike miles and miles,wear out a pair of boots every season!:D

dinnertime your kind of fishing sounds like mine i usually hike up alot of sweat on the river. when i fish the stamp i hike from the bucket to the falls and fish my way back. but i love bushwackin on the west coast... i have to wear socks over my waders cause my ankle wears out on the neopreme... 20 casts and im off

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Its mostly personal preference. You wouldn't catch me dead on a river with a white full size dink float:D Way to Neewbish;)

Pass the Pack

White stubby dinks are my usual choice... White is a good color in most rivers, remember that when a fish looks up a darker float will have a much more obvious silhouette (sp) Same idea as countershading - fish have white bellies so they can blend in with the brighter surface from below. Back East where they fly fish small streams with very little current or chop they use white yarn strike indicators - very little silhouette and to the fish probably looks like a bit of bubbles or foam coming down the river.

That being said, if you are on a river like the Stamp or Cowie it's not going to matter, personal preference rules. I'm just as likely to use a green dink, whatever's handy... It's when you get into the little clear coastal creeks that you might have to think more about it.

drennans!!! I also like those gibbs ones from wally world that are like an inch and a half in diameter, they work great...

Found this in the tree on the cowi, does it belong to anybody on this site? Thought it might be blackleeches or bananas? Look familiar.

bobber.jpg

Yup, that's the one... the classic red and white is most effective when you suspend a wire pickerel rig beneath it :D it also shines with a red devil hung a foot below... the true sign of a pro ;)

r o t f l m a o ....[^]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Back