Fixed VHF Marine Radio

I have an ICOM and like it but Standard Horizon have some good radios . I have channel controls on my microphone but no speaker in the mic which is a bit of a drag ( If you want to hear your radio while running you may want the mic to have a speaker in it.
As far as antenna. Get a full 8' . Look at DIGITAL antenna. I get quite amazing range due to the different technology used ( magnets I think)- expect to pay more though. MY Shakespear antenna was good but not the range of my Digital.
Not sure where you are living but in Vancouver check out West Marine but comare price online as I beleive they will match price

icom or standard horizon are both very good radios, i have both and really like both. where r u located? ide be buying online or at the harbor chandler. as, or more important than a quality radio is a good antenna though its the thing receiving and tranmissting your signal.

icom or standard horizon are both very good radios, i have both and really like both. where r u located? ide be buying online or at the harbor chandler. as, or more important than a quality radio is a good antenna though its the thing receiving and tranmissting your signal.

I'd echo that. The antennae seems to make a big difference.

I would love my radio's mic. to have a speaker in it. It's the only thing I don't like about the model of I-COM I own. But it still is a great radio watch for them to go on sale at Harbor Chandler. I paid $120 or so I think.

Just stay away from Uniden radios they are cheap and there is a reason for it. The solara model is not even worth the box it is packed in. Sells for $99 POS...

Thanks guys.

I am located on the lower mainland. Good advice on the speaker in the mic. Will be going to the island this week, so I will check with Harbour Chandler.

Thanks guys.

I am located on the lower mainland. Good advice on the speaker in the mic. Will be going to the island this week, so I will check with Harbour Chandler.

Good call AlK. They will treat you right there for sure. They might have some left overs from their famous May sale. I just picked up a new Standard Horizon with remote mic with speaker for quite a reasonable price:cool:.

I just wanted to upgrade. My old SH radio works just fine still and I will keep it on board for a back up.

I also installed external speakers around the boat soyou can hear the radio everywhere and wont miss anytthing. Cheap investment (20$ for an external speaker?), and a nice thing to have.

Back