Five kayakers rescued, treated after capsizing

• Thread starter The Fish Assassin
  • Start date
T

The Fish Assassin

From the T/C

Several kayakers had to be rescued from the waters between Oak Bay and Trial Island when a passing motor boat caused their vessels to capsize yesterday.

A lighthouse keeper reported seeing several people in the water next to their empty kayaks around 12:40 p.m.

The Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination centre dispatched two boats from the Oak Bay and Victoria Coast Guard Auxiliary to pull five kayakers from the water, said Capt. Dave Bowes, but by then, the paddlers had been in the chilly waters for about an hour. One woman was able to swim to shore but was hypothermic. She and four others were taken to Royal Jubilee hospital.

Bowes said those rescued were among a group of 12 kayakers swamped by a passing power boat.

The rescue centre passed the information on to Victoria police, who will investigate the incident.

Even without waves from a passing boat, there are strong rip currents in the waters between Trial Island and Oak Bay, Bowes said. He said the kayakers who tipped were not very experienced

Take only what you need.

One of you guys from Vic go by about then?[:eek:)]

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

I thought those were speed bumps.

A rather foolish comment. People's lives were at risk and that is the best you come up with? Sad.

www.kayaks2.com

give me a break island boy!!!No one died and besides they were victims of their own foolishness.

I see some awful stupid people out in Kayaks, saw a guy dump his boat in March</u> one time!!! :D

Beginners should stick to the calmest waters in the harbour, outside of that they're in the real world like all the rest of us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Back