Fishing to Feed Salmon Farms Is Emptying the Seas

No its not true..the NGO's say it's all the hatchery salmon being produced...they are robbing wild salmon of a food supply. They also say that it is the public fishery with its nasty hook and line fishing which at times is even forced to catch and release fish back unharmed which is impacting stocks of concern...but that gill nets in the rivers that kill everything are ok. Someone is full of sh$t!

It's worth knowing that fish heads and guts from fish processing plants are ground up and rendered into fish meal and fish oil. This practice is followed on both coasts in Canada. In the past heads and guts were considered waste and simply dumped back into the ocean.

I agree that it is good that offal is used instead of disposed of, easydoesit. However - just the heads and guts is not enough for the feed appetite of the industry on it's own. That's why there is such a large market for forage fish world-wide. And for the pet food industry as well.

I agree that it is good that offal is used instead of disposed of, easydoesit. However - just the heads and guts is not enough for the feed appetite of the industry on it's own. That's why there is such a large market for forage fish world-wide. And for the pet food industry as well.

When you start to feed any animal/fish it's own body material back to them bad things happen. Recall the use of brain material used to make feed for cattle resulted in
the mad cow crisis. This may work the same way in salmon. nasty...nasty stuff and may be passed down the humans as it did with the mad cow.

Last edited:

I suspect on this coast, a lot of the processing plant fish waste goes to the commercial crab, prawn and shrimp trap fishing industry. Don't know if the manufactured dry stinky pellets that are used in shrimp/prawn traps are made locally in Province. Crabs I know prefer fresh (not stinky rotten) bait.

Last edited:
Back