Fishing/Tackle shop reviews

lbean

I had posted in a different thread that I was about to purchase some custom foot ladies headwaters. These retail for 349 + 50 for the custom part. Seeing as how as I work with youth in the social service sector such a thing is a pretty big expense compared to my income.

I struggle to decide who gets my business. I would prefer somewhere that has the occasional sale on simms waders but that doesn't seem likely so my next deciding factor is who has good customer service? Being female, I get different (and no, not better) service than the fishermen so I am hoping to get an idea based on both my own experience and others who is most deserving of my hard earned?
Consistent themes surrounding less than stellar customer service has been A. I am female B. I am not a big spender

Highwater has been lovely, however its always my partner they speak to first. If I have a specific question above and beyond "what's this thingy for"? I become get my info and am pretty stoked on the experience. Selection is good and there's some things I haven't seen elsewhere.
Barry's employees completely ignored both my partner and I until I went and asked someone at the counter for help after 10-15 minutes. Eventually after I asked specific questions I got a few answers.
Fred's was helpful but when I tried on waders their assessment of the fit was less concentrated on my comfort and more on the sale
Michael and Young has been the best so far . Helpful and friendly.
West coast. Not a chance. They've treated both my partner and I like we're dummies and second class citizens (could be the hoodies, skateboards thinner wallets than their used to). Not to mention rotten thread and following us around the store like shoplifters. Its too bad they're so close to home.
SeaRun was decent but another case of if we're not spending the big bux we get short answers.
Riverside was quite helpful as well and I felt taken care of but I have only been in one time.
I don't have a lot of experience with pacific angler but i find their prices too high (a 60 dollar item was 40 elsewhere and later down to 25) and the 2 times I came in alone I was ignored while others were greeted and assisted quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
not local but I just bought a Simms pro dry jacket and Bibs for half price and free shipping within the US if you have an address
down there, total was 549. anywhere else here or in the USA is 499 for jacket and 399 for the bibs
have a look at tackledirect.com,
as far as Local there are a few to try
I have always had great service at Pacific Angler on Broadway in Vancouver they are all very personable
and also had great service for gear and tackle at PNT in Steveston not sure if they would be any help for what your looking for today tho

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite fishing retailers say hello when I walk in, leave me alone to wander around, speak to me only if I have a question, and take 10% or more off at the till if I spend lots and they say goodbye and thanks when I leave. It's a Mars/Venus thing I guess.

Some quick advice from someone who's worked retail for years including fishing tackle.

1-don't hide your face under a hoodie upon entering the store.

2-say Hello to the Staff smile and be pleasant.

3-deal only with the stores who treat you best and let the others go hang.

4-get over yourself.

i would say gary at riverside is the most personable. he wears a hoodie once in while also.. and he is from pocompton. definately does not care what your spending, he will set ya up if you have a budget in mind.

IBean, I would try Highwater again. I think its a great NS local little shop and I believe Dave S. may still have his daughter working there some days so you may enjoy dealing with a female sales person, especially when as I understand she is a very good fisher. Who knows maybe she'd want to go fish'n with you too ( re other thread) ! If the price quote on an item seems high there, you can always ask to get better price, especially if you have seen a similar item elsewhere for less cost, but would rather buy at Highwater.

Ibean , i ditto what peahead says.... Highwater is a great spot and both dave and Jill are good people.
his daughter Jill knows what she is talking about and is a great little fisher gal , both rivers and ocean.

Highwater. If he doesn't have what you want he will try and get it. There is a reason he is still in business. Sounds like there are a few of us who go back to when he bought the place from Bob Fuller. Man, were his shelves empty when he opened. Inventory must have been a breeze.

Lbean,

Good morning! I was just browsing this section of the forum to see what was there and was interested by reading your report. I am the marketing/operations mgr. at Pacific Angler and was disappointed to hear about your experience and feeling "ignored" by our team. This should never happen although we are in the "people" business and are the first to admit that we are not perfect even though we strive to be.

Please come in again, give us another try and see how you like your experience. Pricing will differ store to store the same way it does when you shop at safeway or at wholefoods. Our service, should never be in question and its truly what we pride ourselves in.

We offer over 20 fishing courses, the industries best fishing report (Pacific Angler Friday Fishing Report) and a great selection of products and services. If we do not have a product in stock you are looking for, we have an excellent "special order" system in place where we will order in the product you are looking for directly from the manufacturer even if we do not stock it regularily.

Thanks for reading and again, please come in, say hi and give us another chance!

Cheers!

Bryce Franks
Pacific Angler
604-872-2204
bryce@pacificangler.ca

Back