Fishing Seminar Fundraiser

profisher

Its time to raise some money fro the Charters Creek Centre and get the inside displays completed so we can move on to new projects. The Juan De Fuca Salmon Restoration Society has just finished the side channel project which looks awesome and should greatly increase the streams output.
I'm thinking of an all day event with various topics up for discussion and presented by experts in those fields. We would post the times the various talks would be held and you pick and choose the ones you want to attend. This seminar would be a balance of helping anglers have better catch success and also helping them reduce their impact on non-target species.
Topics I've thought about so far include: Mature Springs - all things related to better results (more details to come) next summer will be the cycle year of the record Sockeye returns....so Sockeye Tips/secrets for better catches, Salmon Species recognition tips..hopefully helping you reduce moralities or fish you must release, General fishing tips...fishing in a crowd/avoiding getting your fish cut off, tips for playing doubles on your own....fishing etiquette, The rewards of getting Involved as a stream keeper volunteer, Engine and boat annual maintenance you can do yourself...keep your boat on the water and avoid expensive breakdowns, halibut and tuna tips.
Just starting to think about this so lots of planning to do. Thinking of doing this over a weekend (day and a half) in late fall or early spring. Maybe set it up at a downtown hotel with large enough conference space and get the hotel to give us preferred overnight rates so we can enjoy a meal and some pops after day one without worrying about driving.
What does everyone think?

I would love to get involved in anything which helps salmon fishing in the georgia straight and tidal fraser, and look forward to any seminars!

Yikes, if Rollie keeps putting on seminars the fish won't stand a chance!

I want to hear more about cooking halibut liver - a highlight from the first halibut seminar.

Picture this, a French chef going on about how romantic it is to eat a halibut heart, about how you should cook up halibut skin to make crispy chips and then moving onto the liver. Grosse right? But wait he says halibut liver tastes like chicken... Hmmm I like chicken meat maybe its not so bad I shouldn't judge so quickly...

Then he goes on to say "so if you like chicken liver you'll really like the halibut liver". AHHHH what the heck chicken meat yea sounds good chicken liver no way!!! What is this how to cook for fear factor?

That was the highlight for me. Despite his odd european taste for skin and gutts the chef was a good speaker and I think I learned the most from him (once he moved on to cooking meat).

There is a chef in Victoria called 'The London Chef' that has courses on how to prepare local species other than salmon or halibut, things like skate, dogfish, herring, etc... I'm not sure what his take is on liver and skin. He might be a candidate to give a seminar.

Back