fishing lodges?

islander55

hey there im just wondering if anyone on this forum knows of any fishing lodges or charter boats hiring for this summer. im 18 and live to fish i just love fishing. please let me know thank you

Working in a lodge-especially the first year-has little to do with fishing and more to do with hard petty repetitious work.

So if it's a summer job you want put a resume together stressing how reliable, flexible and hard working you are and email to every place you can think of.

(Also get rid of the dead link in your sigline it's been there far too long.)

If your looking to get up to a lodge or work as deck hand on a boat you gotta get your courses done first. You need to get your ROC vhf radio,SVOP and your MED A3.. Couple first aid courses are good to take aswell, more tickets you can get the better. Ive taken all mine through Quicknav in North Vancouver and on the Coast. More than likely you would be working on the docks for the first year or so. Most lodges will be going through the resumes in Feb. Goodluck!

18yrs old ,no lodge or customer experience ,, nice to meet you dockboy!

All seriousness good luck, like others said send out the resumes and go from there.

18yrs old ,no lodge or customer experience ,, nice to meet you dockboy!

All seriousness good luck, like others said send out the resumes and go from there.

Yup, dockboy. Weigh West may be hiring

Dock boy is usually the starting point, my kids worked at Weigh West back when they had a Guide Shack to live in they made good bucks. Not sure if those glory days are still there. A lot of American money. Then my sons worked at Sonora. I highly recommend this lodge, they treat there staff great. Top notch accommodations and food also. QCL was a good experience also! Big Fish!

make sure you put one in with QCL..pm you and I can give you the dock managers e-mail address...

there is an add on craigslist nanimo jobs for exactly this,but I dunno how cool it is to watch all the boats leave the dock every morning without you, good luck buddy!

I55....

If you are going to start looking.....don't piddle paddle around. This is the time to get your applications in; don't wait til April.

Don't be discouraged by these old curmudgeons.
If you can run a boat and catch fish go for it.
My son grew up fishing salt water.
When he got out of high school he was thinking of going to work in the patch.
I told him to try his luck at something he loved.
At 19 he applied at 3 lodges and got offered all 3 jobs.
Picked the one with the best boats and guided full time from day 1.
Was one of their top guides for 5 years while he was in university.
Lodges are looking for young enthusiastic people that know how to catch fish.
Have faith in yourself. Don't settle for dock boy.

I like the cut of your jib! "thumbs up"

If I could ever give any young men or women any advice, it's to follow your passions. Don't ever chase the all-mighty dollar! My kids are 21 and 23, I've expressed this to them repeatedly for as long as I can remember. I've been an engineer in the Oil & Gas industry for 24 years, "runs and hides", but I was never passionate about it. I've made a good living for myself and my family, that said, I wish I would have done something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you, and yes my dream is to have my own fishing charters some day but that will deffently take alot of $ to save haha, so i really want to get a job at some kind of fishing lodge for the summer as im graduating this spring:), and im currently in a radio course right now so if i pass that ill be set.

Gotta start somewhere bud, few more courses and you will be set, lots of guides on this forum, ask around nobody was discouraging you but I think there is a little more to it then love fishing and jump in a boat and head out.. somebody on here must know the exact steps it takes.. Rome wasn't built in a day. with any job you are going to have to put out some elbow grease to get where you want to be. just be realistic about your approach because nobody is going to throw you the keys to their sailfish and say head out and catch these people some fish n bring em back safe.

Lodges are looking for people who know what hospitality is...not just customer service. Lodges are looking for people who are able to learn and develop their skills. Anyone can catch a fish and catching fish is a no BRAINER at many of the lodges on this coast.

Start at dockhand, prove yourself and give them no excuses or reasons not to make you a guide, then be the guide.

I have a relatively long history in the BC Sportfishing Industry now and an accomplished, developed and still developing career in Management and I can tell you from experience that the best lodges and operations don't have a high turnover in guides. Cracking the guide roster is tough for even guides with some experience.

Believe it or not, there's actually a guide shortage on the coast and during peak times, guide rosters are stretched thin as demand exceeds supply. Guide wages are going to be on the rise....because lodges need the right people as their guides.

Don't lose sight of your dreams youngins, but don't forget that earning your stripes will be required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apply to QCL... it will be your fastest route to guiding. They definitely don't treat their guides as well as other operators on the coast, but its a quick in and some unbelievable waters to fish for the whole summer! Some of the biggest fish on the coast, and although not as consistent as some of the West coast lodges, that shore definitely has its days! Get the experience and get out!

Harrisons cove will be looking for dock-hand.. This is a great way to get in.. One of the guides started as dock boy a couple years ago.. Proved his competence with first working with staff/customers and a few trips as deck hand to
learn.. Second year he was doing trips on his own.. Great place, good people.

QCL is great if you like, partying, paying lots of $$$ for beers after hours, and paying 25$ a day for accommodations while getting some of the lowest wages on the coast.....There are better options where you will not be one of many in a huge operation..

Back